Johnson & Starly system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have fitted a J&S warm air system with the Janus 3 water heater alongside both working OK what I would like to know is the current hot water cylinder ( indirect ) is 950 x 450 can I upgrade it to a 1050mm cylinder to give a greater amount of hot water for a larger bath now fitted.
Of course an ideal solution would be rip it all out and replace with a combi system rads and all but we like the warm air it's just the hot water supply we would like to improve.
All advice appreciated

Geoff

Sponsored Links
Yes you can upgrade the cylinder, but you must make sure that the coil inside is suited for gravity circulation.

A Janus 3 is direct to cylinder so indirect coil not required. If it was a the 6 version I would use a coil and run a couple of rads off it.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies, I was not aware that J&S did combi warm air systems, we were toying with the idea of renewing the original system with a like for like and received a quote of £3500.
The original system comprises of the main system built into a cupboard unit within the kitchen with ducting vents to ground floor and first floor bedrooms, flue directly vertical through loft to ridge tile outlet and of course the hot water cylinder in an airing cupboard in the main bedroom all circa 1980.
How much work is involved in changing this system to the combi warm air, I guess I lose the airing cupboard as a bonus space as I would no longer require a cylinder.

Geoff

He said it was indirect but Cosmic pointed out that the Janus 3 can be used on a direct system. So we really don't know if the OP has correctly advised us.

I don't like WAU installations and while a very few like the OP here do like them, my view is that it is far better not to spend money renewing them when a wet system is liked by virtually everyone.

Not helped when virtually no WAU owners ever have them serviced and the filters cleaned/replaced.

As so many of them are open flued, another potential safety issue there!

Tony

The cylinder is an in-direct type on our installation, cold tank feed to the bottom, top outlet / vent pipe and the in/out feeds to the water heater ( coil inside ), Cosmic is correct regarding the JANUS 3 water heater as it can be used on both type of cylinders direct & in direct-source J&S website.
I'm aware we are in the minority regarding warm air systems, the slide out filter is cleaned every week and the system fully serviced every 12 months but we like the warm air as the heating system it's just the limitations of a hot water cylinder we want to improve or better.
Looking on the J&S website regarding their combi system I'm not sure how a new combi would link with the existing ducted infrastructure.

Tony, I realise that a direct cylinder can be used with a Janus, but it's an indirect cylinder fitted!! The Op wanted a simple answer as to fitting a larger cylinder, so why complicate matters with pointless info?
It may not be popular with you but wau heating is excellent, and most owners have them serviced. I spent all my working life servicing them.

All I can say is that those that I have been called to repair have been non maintained in a dreadful condition.

Obviously I did not get called to any which were in pristine condition!

The only good thing in my view about WAU, and that's often understated even if remembered, is the very rapid warm up as it only has to heat up air which has a low specific heat.

Tony

Were/are you in scope to carry out work on a WAU Tony???

I don't like WAU installations and while a very few like the OP here do like them, my view is that it is far better not to spend money renewing them when a wet system is liked by virtually everyone.
Who are you speaking for???

I was registered for WAU but did not renew it when it came up for renewal.

Not enough good quality jobs in the London area. Always people who had neglected the system and expected it totally overhauled for just £84.

You only have yourself to blame regarding the £84.
Worked on many WAU's , I would say around 20% were not regularly serviced..... Around 5% required return air , most customers would accept the additional works required as opposed to being issued a warning notice.
I must be one of the few who 'like' WAU's , most RGI's will shy away due to not being in scope.;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back