Johnson U-turns on herd policy

Sponsored Links
"Boris Johnson is poised to ban mass gatherings from next weekend, a policy reversal that comes less than 24 hours after he argued that preventing crowds from meeting for big events would not be an effective way to tackle the coronavirus pandemic.

The prime minister’s decision was made after England’s football authorities postponed all professional fixtures until April 3, including Premier League and Football League matches.

Mr Johnson had insisted at a press conference on Thursday that England would not follow the example of Ireland or of Scotland, where first secretary Nicola Sturgeon has cancelled events with more than 500 people from next week.

However, amid growing pressure to step up the UK’s response to the virus, Whitehall officials said the decision had been taken in order to free up emergency services to respond.

Mr Johnson and his team previously argued that banning large gatherings would reduce the peak of coronavirus by less than 5 per cent, saying it would just as easily spread within smaller groups such as people watching football in the pub."

"Now, however, the government will table emergency legislation next week to increase restrictions on day-to-day life to help combat the outbreak, including cancelling mass events.

One Whitehall official said ministers were working with scientific advisers on imminent plans to “stop various types of public event, including mass gatherings, beginning next week”. The person added that the government was also working with businesses on a phased transition towards “much more widespread” working from home.

Mr Johnson is under increasing pressure to move further into the “delay” phase after other European countries took much tougher measures. Denmark and Poland on Friday temporarily barred entry to all foreign nationals, while Spain’s capital Madrid and Greece both closed non-essential businesses such as cinemas, restaurants and shopping malls."

Theyve changed their minds because sporting bodies decided to cancel contrary to govt advice

Sponsored Links
More crap from the news. They have always said things would escalate as the virus spreads. They now know that the increase rate is at a level that in other countries has rapidly become worse. In short we are a few weeks behind some others. Personally I don't think that has anything to do with their policies and those could have been better. For instance they could have told people to continue doing their normal things with one exception - don't travel about the country use the phone instead.

The herd thing is being misunderstood. It's sort of looking on the bright side. Some will recover and as a result will be immune. Those people may become more important as time goes on as they have no risk from exposure. ;) People might find a new job / insurance question crops up - are you immune. Problem - viruses mutate and it's also rather tricky to get rid of all world wide.

The stupid thing about stay at home is that they will no longer have any idea where pockets of infection are only cases that get more serious. It's interesting that a country that had previous experience of this sort of thing immediately put a web site up for people who were isolating themselves could register.Our lot would probably make it browser sensitive and cock it up but maybe google would do it for them ;) they would appreciate the info.

Some good news. A company is distributing rapid test kits. They hope to have them available to the public shortly. Initially just pharmacies. They are not 100% but way way better than nothing and close to perfect.

Some bad news. C4 had one of the epidemic experts on who is advising the gov. He reckons disruption for at least all of this year. He did say that they had been considering the economy and had to. Personally I think that's pointless as it's bound to go badly what ever they do. What they have done may make the hit worse.

China - going into mass production of respirators so that their economy can cope if the same thing happens again.

LOL A thought - is throwing brexit into the turmoil a good idea or should it be delayed until things in this area are more sorted.

LOL A thought - is throwing brexit into the turmoil a good idea or should it be delayed until things in this area are more sorted.

We need to crack on and really maximise economic shock -more chance of bringing about social change.

We need to crack on and really maximise economic shock -more chance of bringing about social change.

The problem is far more companies closing and job losses without extreme amount of pure luck with the virus. One sector is already badly hit.

;) The other aspect is that very very few people realise what Brexit is probably really about. A mix of free market philosophy, vested interested in that area - eg the USA and others and also finding a place for the UK in today's world. That place is unlikely to be where it used to be and "beneficial" changes are likely to take a very long time.

I went to the shops this morning, but instead of going over the lights, and then left at the next island as was my original plan, I changed my mind and went left at the lights and then over other lights and then turned right.

I must be a bad person. Sorry everyone. :(

That place is unlikely to be where it used to be and "beneficial" changes are likely to take a very long time.
Yes. .Sherlock..Thankyou for pointing that out. ..For the umpteenth time

I went to the shops this morning, but instead of going over the lights, and then left at the next island as was my original plan, I changed my mind and went left at the lights and then over other lights and then turned right.

No point in you going for loo paper or hand sanitiser. Better start having a large daily newspaper delivered again or order plenty of things off Amazon.Obviously we should have switched to everything being supplied in paper bags well before the outbreak or converted to a different style of toilet used in many countries where it's washed away. Maybe a hose pipe on a nearby tap is the best answer.

;) I'm surprised people haven't started buying disposable gloves, It would obviously cut down the contagion rate dramatically. Just make sure the cuffs don't touch anything when wearing them, that way they can be easily taken off with little risk.

;) The probable best use of face masks is for people who are infected, they need gloves too.

:) One daft post deserves another

Yes. .Sherlock..Thankyou for pointing that out. ..For the umpteenth time

I have only mentioned it that way once before and and only once on here. In some ways I am neither a leaver or a remainer. In short we are leaving so ok. Long term it will cause changes and there may even be some short term gain of a sort assuming areas that don't like the EU for various reasons decide to help.

What U turn? He has always said that we will be banned from mass gatherings as the epidemic progresses and warrants it. It appears that the ban will come into force next weekend.
If he suddenly introduced it today, then you can argue a U turn. But we are still following the science and not the scare mongering of the elite football authorities who believe they are at risk whereas the lower leagues of football playing as they are trusting the science.

I will forgive you. Provided that you undertake NEVER to let it happen again.

Sponsored Links
Back