Johnstone's Flat Oil Paint turning brown..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone else experienced this? It's not the usual yellowing associated with oil paints but a patchy brown appearance on random doors and window frames (no unifying factor such as direct sunlight etc). Paint shop suggested I had used harsh chemicals on the paintwork (I haven't), it's same decorator throughout so unlikely to be application/prep issues. Only thing I can come up with is a problem with the paint - have Emailed Johnstone's tech department with photos but predictably no response. It's happened within 2/3 months of application. Just wondered if anyone else had same issue. TIA.

Sponsored Links
If the lot went brown then yes i 'd blame the paint, but it does sound as though "patches" of the structure were not cleaned/treated right.

Your not talking bleeding are you?.

Thanks, Libby - good point about it not being all the paintwork - which has obviously yellowed in double quick time. It's defo not bleed as it's white on previously painted white woodwork - what prep could the decorator have missed out? I assumed a quick key and wipe would be enough. Thanks again for response.

This is usually associated with resin bleed from knots. Are the brown patches circular/ish? and were there any brown marks before re-dec?

A photo would be useful.

Sponsored Links
Thanks DC - Not circular and it's pale brown/orange seeping through. I thought it might be some strange oxidising of the paint. I've put a couple o images in an album on my profile - not sure how I can get them onto this reply so if you can let me know how to post photos in a reply I'll do so to make it easier! Thanks again for your interest.

Very hard to see for me they are bad pictures. But what i would say,with them being in a corner,they tend to get less attention when doing prep, in my eyes.

What was the original paint?.
dec asked did you have these stains before you started?.

A dirty brush or other contamination is the reason.

Yeah it is hard to see, def not knots bleeding.

I'm wondering if its surfactant leeching, when you applied the paint was it particularly humid? or close to a source of humidity such as a bathroom?
The only thing is that you'd associate it with water borne coatings, and you definately used oil based? Do the streaks rub off? and are they glossy at all?

Next step is to work out if its the paint or the substrate. Ring Johnstones to take care of the paint bit. If the paint is ok you'll need to apply a primer/sealer such as cover stain, bin or ali wood primer and paint as normal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back