Johnston's One Coat vs Wilco Timber Care

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some decent paint for the shed.

Does anyone know from experience which of the two is the better product?

Sponsored Links
As far as I can see neither of them is a paint, they are both water-based fence stains that leave a tinted, waxy, water repellent film on the surface. When it stops repelling water, it needs another coat. They stick better to rough, sawn or weathered wood than to smooth planed or sanded timber. They do not stick to painted surfaces, metal or plastic, but will stain brick or concrete. Apart from repelling rain, they do not prevent rot, for example in damp wood.

I have used numerous brands, mostly buy in end-of-season sales. Plastic tubs reseal much better than tins. You need a mechanical stirrer.

The very cheap "value" brands tend to be watery. Apart from that, own-brands by reputable chains are much the same as heavily advertised brands, and cheaper.

Timbercare is their cheap line so it will not be much good. They sell a better wax-enriched line.

If you want a really good product,
Cuprinol Ultimate Garden Wood Preserver for finest garden wood
Or the Ronseal or Wickes equivalent

Is what I use on my gate. It is more expensive.

The version I used included fungicides and insecticides, which fence stains do not have.

Sponsored Links
I got a tub of the Johnston's One Coat so will see how that goes. Have pressure washed all the moss off first.

I got a tub of Wilco vinyl matt a few years back for the bathroom and it used to streak when wet. Painted over it with Johnston's and all is now well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back