join smaller sheets to make a large one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am looking at making a large table type affair (about 12 x 10) to use for a scalextric. However a 12 x 10 table permanently up is not an option. I was considering making a slot together type thing with maybe 4 or 6 sheets of mdf that "slot" together. Initial ideas were dowels or a slot down the side with a sort of buscuit type connector. I would of course need some support underneath.
I would also like some form of portable legs to stand it on. At the moment this is just an idea, but will more than likely happen, but I could use a few sugestions/ideas so any comments are most welcome!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In mdf that will be heavy, have you thought about ply with a light framework? Something like a table-tennis table that can be hinged in the middle?

Hi,

That sounds like a good idea, however it will still be too big in just 2 sections, it doesnt have to be MDF, anything will do but I figured mdf as it doesnt seem to bend as much as ply.

I take it from the lack of response that theres a problem with my idea? any suggestions most welcome!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
heeelloo eggplant :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

your into the same systems as portable model railways
if its 10x12 you have to engineer it to take a mans weight on the board to reach any that come off the road
perhaps 4 equal sections 12mm mdf framed by 2x1" which will be quite unweildy the normal would be up to 4ft boards by probably less than 4ft in a circuit or fig of 8 with a 3 or 4ft open section in the middle to control from [this would allow lighter construstion as it wont have to take your weight ;) ]
each board would have its own legs with diagonal supports or piggyback on one or more ends
if you make all sections the same you can stack them horizontaly in a rack to protect the track which i assume you are perminantly fixing
you can also have shorter cicuits where if you have long strait sections on each side you just remove one section from each side
in general its not an easy thing to take down and put up so needs to be up for weeks on end ;)

is this the sort of idea you have!!!!!

Thanks for that, seems like its going to be a bit bigger a project than I anticipated. I would ideally like something that can be taken down and put up pretty easily, I dont mind putting in the work, and cost isnt TOOOO much of an issue (dont want it running into the thousands...). I hadnt considered the weight of a person leaning accross,I'm glad you mentioned it. The track will be staying on all the time, I'll probably tack it or something - I'll worry about that later. The actual amount of sheets isnt too relevant, just needs to be easy quick to put up and down. I wonder if theres anyhting commercially available (but wheres the fun in that!)

Thanks again

oooo theres all sorts of other things like ---
youll need to cut the track at the board joints with wire on to conectors or touch contacts on the joining edge which will have locating dowels and wingnuts and bolts

if your pannels are say 3ftwide x4ft long and its high enough to stop the kids climbing on the boards you will get away with 12mm ldf which is very light but not overly strong you would also need to put a central brace so its a max of 2ft between supports

look up your local model railway club for other ideas

and i recon it would take you about 4 to 6 hrs to to put it up and sort out any faults ;)

Thanks,

no kids so no problem there ! , no problem with sorting the track either - but I'd prefer minutes not hours to set it up! I'll do a bit of googling for model railways and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back