Joiner doing electrical work

Of course an EIC will have to be provided but surely only an idiot would assume that that you had to be registered to be competent to do that?
We're talking council building control people here.... ;)

Sorry - cheap shot.

But seriously, what other practicable way is there for a council employee to check that the person who issued the EIC is competent to do so?

I was making the point that you don't have to be registered to be competent (could YOU fill an EIC in BAS?), as far as the council checking . . .I dunno they could ask to see qualifications? Certainly only being a member of a scam does not equal competence judging by certs I have seen by registered sparks and also anecdotes on here. I think Glasgow BC's attitude is that if the form appears to have been filled in correctly that's enough for them, same policy as some English council's have been adopting if memory serves.

If you care to read my posts you will see what my opinions are on DIY electrical work.
Care to identify which of the 500 we should read?
Ok never mind that, my attitude is that if you are competent (small 'c') then carry on. How to measure competence? easy just post your proposed works on here and if you can withstand BAS's scrutiny, you're good to go!

Or maybe not because you porbably would be able to spell a little better if you had been schooled back then.
Always risky to have a dig like that....
....but are quite happy to wage into me with accusations of incompetence.
:LOL:

Is that grammar or word usage incorrect? I did mean to write wage (as in 'wage war'). Inglish isn't my strong point but at least I can spell!

Sponsored Links
I was making the point that you don't have to be registered to be competent (could YOU fill an EIC in BAS?),
I agree that you don't have to be, and yes, I could indeed fill in an EIC.

as far as the council checking . . .I dunno they could ask to see qualifications?
I don't know how it is up in the land of fine drink and foul flies, but in England if you intend to show an EIC to a council as proof that your work complied with Part P then IMO it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to say "How do we know that your EIC is worth anything?"

Certainly only being a member of a scam does not equal competence judging by certs I have seen by registered sparks and also anecdotes on here.
And IET, Screwloose, UHM, ATT, UTCAA....

I think Glasgow BC's attitude is that if the form appears to have been filled in correctly that's enough for them, same policy as some English council's have been adopting if memory serves.
Fair enough - it's not unknown for some "electricians" to fill in forms with numbers that appear to be correct. Was it here a week or so ago that someone reported seeing a recent EIC with R1+R2 values for a circuit with no cpc?

How to measure competence? easy just post your proposed works on here and if you can withstand BAS's scrutiny, you're good to go!
:mrgreen:

Is that grammar or word usage incorrect?
Word usage - yes you can wage war on someone, but you "wade into them with accusations of....".

I wasn't having a go at you, I thought it was a typo and I was just enjoying the apparent irony....

What's your attitude to DIY work then?

I can always tell a diy enthusiasts house as soon as i walk in the door(usually to correct some lighting wiring)

Not just talking about electrics, but it stands out a country mile when someone just simply refuses to get a proffessional job done, to save a few quid and has to look on youtube and 'have a go' thereselves

Apart from painting, hanging pictures and putting shelves up, the rest should be outright banned unless your qualified, if only for the poor soul who buys your house from you years later and has to spend a small fortune putting it all right afterwards

Given that it has taken you over 4 years to collect up enough thinking power to come up with that opinion I think it can legitimately be regarded with ridicule.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back