carpenter/joiners

Sponsored Links
Good question, & while we're at it - a 'clamp' and a 'cramp'?

Sponsored Links
I was told many years ago that a joiner makes the stuff off site, windows,doors, staircases etc. and a carpenter fits them on site as well as all the other woodwork required in the building, 1st & 2nd fit.
Don't know if that's completely accurate but it makes sense.

Clamp & cramp, one holds together, the other forces together, just a bad guess really. :idea:

Adhesive & glue, no idea, I'm stuck for an answer (cutting edge or what) :LOL:

H&J said:
Adhesive & glue, no idea, I'm stuck for an answer

I make no bones about it, i think that reply was a bit tacky, but i think you should stick with it :)

A joiner 'joins' (makes) things, a carpenter fixes the finished item. I know carpenters make joints in roofs etc, but that's the original meaning. You wouldn't normally get joiners working on building sites, nor carpenters in 'joinery shops'.

A clamp doesn't involve screw threads to fix itself (but possibly to ADJUST itself), but works with a sudden action, like a Mole wrench. A cramp tightens by means of a screw thread.

Adhesive and glue are surely the same thing...

Screws and joints? You're not serious are you, Thermo?? If you need to know what a screw looks like, just ask. ;)

polite note, see 17

hey its not an old post now so i can reply!

i meant a joiner would use proper joints in a piece of work built in a workshop, in preference to screws used on site by a carpenter!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back