JOINING 2 PIECES OF HARDBOARD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There, Is there a recommended way of being able to fasten together two pieces of 3mm Hardboard to strengthen it at a potentially weak part of the project.
Unfortunately I can't use a thicker Board.
I’ve tried a Pop Rivet on a Test piece but the material is too soft and the Pop Rivet stem won’t shear.
Many Thanks, Keith

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that blup. It is a little bit unpracticable for Glue and I was hoping for a simple fastener suggestion for the job.

Hammer stapler with the boards on a solid surface, ideally a sheet of metal or similar so the staples curl.

Sponsored Links
Hi There, Is there a recommended way of being able to fasten together two pieces of 3mm Hardboard to strengthen it at a potentially weak part of the project.
Unfortunately I can't use a thicker Board.
I’ve tried a Pop Rivet on a Test piece but the material is too soft and the Pop Rivet stem won’t shear.
Many Thanks, Keith
No recommended way as it’s an unusual thing to do.
what’s the purpose?

Thanks to blue, DAZB, big-all and foxhole for your help. It's just a temporary cover up job on some units which to fully explain would take two A4 pages. Cheers again and Best Wishes to you All.

It's Edge to Edge (top and bottom) and the section to strengthen is about 4 foot long and narrow (4 inches)

Go for MDF ?
pin the past I made a humungus sheet of hardboard using about 12 sheets.
I used evostick contact adhesive on the back with roughly 4” wide strips on The joins

Thank you All very much for your helpful comments. In this particular case I found that the easiest way to do it was to layer a couple of pieces of hardboard together where it needed strengthening and used small csk screws & nuts (m3) to hold it together. Happy New Year to you All and Best Wishes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back