joining 6mm twin and earth - drilled through cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps, I managed to drill through the 6mm twin and earth going to the kitchen in my flat. I cut the bad section out and have joined the two ends with a new bit of 6mm cable and some 30A rated chock block and 30A rated terminal boxes. is this ok? the mcb on the main fuse box for this cable is 50A.

Sponsored Links
Are the joints accessible?

Are the joints in the wall?

You cannot plaster or tile over terminal blocks or junction boxes.

If you use connector blocks they should be in an enclosure, like a back box with a blanking plate over it.

The MCB is too high for that size cable.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, the cable runs under wooden floorboards. Its an old tenement flat.
I was screwing down the squeaky floor boards when it happened!

I bought some 6mm cable and its about the same thickness as the old stuff.

I think the 50Amp rating may be ok for the cable. A qualified electrician installed the fuse box recently, so i would hope he knew what he was doing...

But I think I do need to increase the rating of my repair to at least match the circuit breaker rating.

Can anyone suggest a suitable junction box etc? I went to B&Q toninght but coulden't see anything with a high enough rating...

I just ordered two of these 60 Amp junction boxes:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AAJB60.html

This should sort it out.

From what I have read, the current carrying capacity of cable is dependant on a number of things, including its length. So 6mm cable is not always a fixed 30 A rating.

Cheers for all the replys!

Hmmm, the cable runs under wooden floorboards. Its an old tenement flat.
I was screwing down the squeaky floor boards when it happened!

I bought some 6mm cable and its about the same thickness as the old stuff.

I think the 50Amp rating may be ok for the cable. A qualified electrician installed the fuse box recently, so i would hope he knew what he was doing...

But I think I do need to increase the rating of my repair to at least match the circuit breaker rating.

About the same thickness? This is alarming.

Your new piece of cable mustn't be smaller than the old cable.

Are you certain the old cable isn't 10.0 mm or something else? 10.0 mm would seem more appropriate on the end of a 50 amp MCB.

Cookers are usually wired in 6.0 mm, but 10.0 mm is also quite likely.

Those junction boxes arent compliant under the floor boards.

You need to crimp the cable and sleeve/enclose it.

I very much doubt (off the top of my head) that 6mm can ever carry 50amps.

From what I have read, the current carrying capacity of cable is dependant on a number of things, including its length. So 6mm cable is not always a fixed 30 A rating.
Cheers for all the replys!

Don't believe everything you read. Current capacity is not dependant on length, it is dependant on cable type and how it is installed (clipped to a wall, buried under insulation etc). The length of the cable does affect the voltage drop though, and if this is calculated to be too high it would mean a larger cable would be needed.

My book of regulations is at work and I'm not a domestic electrician so I'm willing to be proved wrong but I don't think your 6mm cable should be on a 50A breaker no matter how short the run.

My book of regulations is at work and I'm not a domestic electrician so I'm willing to be proved wrong but I don't think your 6mm cable should be on a 50A breaker no matter how short the run.

Correct. Even if it is installed in the best possible conditions, 6242Y 6.0mm² can never carry 50A.

[edit for spelling]

Is the earth wire in the OLD cable solid or stranded? This MAY help to establish the cable size.

Hmmm, the old cable had a stranded earth, but the new bit of cable had a solid earth...

Yeah I see what you mean. It is the length and cable diameter that affects the volt drop. But ultimately the cable must have a low enough resistance (ie must be thick enough) so that it does not heat up the insulation too much..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back