32amp 6mm Swa 3 core to twin and earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Just wired my 32amp hot tub up, got 3core 6mm swa running to a 32amp isolation switch then back to the house.

My question is for ease can I split this to a twin and earth in the loft and run the twin and earth back to the distribution board?

My plan is, I can use an armoured swa gland on a standard cube junction box, join the cores using 2.5mm-6mm wagos and screw the box shut and make sure its fixed securely in the loft.

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes you can do that.

However, depending on where the T&E is installed (concealed in the wall), it might require RCD 'protection' which may not be wanted.

Yes you can do that. However, depending on where the T&E is installed (concealed in the wall), it might require RCD 'protection' which may not be wanted.
What do you mean by "may not be wanted", given that one presumable would "want" to hot tub to be RCD protected?

Are you perhaps thinking that the RCD protection would be provided 'at' the hot tub (and that the SWA, and any non-buried T+E, would not need such protection)?

Kind Regards, John

Yes you can do that.

However, depending on where the T&E is installed (concealed in the wall), it might require RCD 'protection' which may not be wanted.

The way I am running this is -

hot tub - swa to isolation switch - swa house up wall into to loft - split and join to T&E - run through the loft back outside and down the wall in conduit then back inside to a spare MCB 32amp space. Protected by am 80amp RCD.

Hope that clears it up a little

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by "may not be wanted", given that one presumable would "want" to hot tub to be RCD protected?
Are you perhaps thinking that the RCD protection would be provided 'at' the hot tub (and that the SWA, and any non-buried T+E, would not need such protection)?
I was thinking in more general terms for outdoor SWA installations so - obviously if an RCD is wanted then all is well.

I was thinking in more general terms for outdoor SWA installations so - obviously if an RCD is wanted then all is well.
Fair enough - that's essentially what I suggested - i.e. that you are thinking about outdoor installations, commonly to outhouses, where the RCD protection is provided at the outhouse end of the SWA.

I presume you would agree that RCD protection "is wanted" for the hot tub - so that if such protection is not 'built in' to the tub (or thereabouts), it would have to be provided at the house end (even though the SWA, and any non-buried T+E, would not themselves require such protection)?

Kind Regards, John

Further thought.

I presume you would agree that RCD protection "is wanted" for the hot tub
Yes.

- so that if such protection is not 'built in' to the tub (or thereabouts), it would have to be provided at the house end
Yes.

(even though the SWA, and any non-buried T+E, would not themselves require such protection)?
But if the T&E is buried and the hot tub has its own...

Just noticed my armoured sheath has a small slit in it.... can I just tape it?? No damage to the earth mental inside.... this section will be in conduit.

Slightly annoying to find!

Just noticed my armoured sheath has a small slit in it.... can I just tape it?? No damage to the earth mental inside.... this section will be in conduit.
I presume you are referring to the PVC/whatever covering?

If water were to get in, the steel armour would rust and, after a long time, potentially destroy the electrical continuity of the steel armour - so that would definitely not be good (or acceptable) if it were being buried in the ground. However, in conduit, there is presumably much less risk (will the conduit be vertical or horizontal), although moisture could still get in.

The 'official answer' is fairly obvious (and would not be welcome to you!), but, in your position, and presuming the 'slit' is fairly small, I would personally probably just put self-amalgamating tape over it. Others may take a more 'official' line!

Kind Regards, John

One more thing...

The junction box is plastic for the join between swa and t&e. So do I go from the gland banjo earth and join that to the T&E Earth?

So this will mean:

1 earth from swa
1 earth from banjo

Both link to T&E earth.

One more thing... The junction box is plastic for the join between swa and t&e. So do I go from the gland banjo earth and join that to the T&E Earth? So this will mean:
1 earth from swa .... 1 earth from banjo ... Both link to T&E earth.
Yes.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back