Joining brass to plastic piping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
14 year old Popperton Suprima 40L must say i have had very few faults with it in that time.

I have just had a quote from a central heating engineer who fits mostly Alpa Boilers and he says that the first metre of piping from the boiler must be brass and he says it would be feasible join the brass pipe to the plastic pipe inside the corner kitchen cabinet, the measurement of plastic pipe from the boiler to where it enters the kitchen cabinet is 37 inches then there is 12 inches of plastic pipe showing inside of the cabinet.
Would it be OK to do this.
The plastic pipes in the kitchen cabinet are at an angle because they follow the line of the stairs above them

Click on links for photos

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/26313/20160220-gvix-96kb

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/26313/20160220-hcoo-122kb

Also how are Alpha Boilers rated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why are you thinking of getting rid of the Suprima if it's working? I'd rather have a 14 year old Suprima than a new Alpha
The first metre of pipework off a boiler must be in copper, which is what I think you mean when you say brass

Sponsored Links
Why are you thinking of getting rid of the Suprima if it's working? I'd rather have a 14 year old Suprima than a new Alpha
The first metre of pipework off a boiler must be in copper, which is what I think you mean when you say brass

I did mean copper I must have been dreaming

As Muggles said, why change the boiler?
Popperton have stopped making spare parts for this model and I don't want to be in the position where I or someone else have to chase all over looking for spare parts. I am 83 years old and caring for a disabled wife I would hate to put her in a position where she would be uncomfortable.
So to be on the safe side I thought i would be better replacing the old boiler.
Thanks

Last edited:
you should look into a Eco boiler grant, somebody on here may be abloe to advise you about them.

Thanks for the advice but we are just above the limits for both income and savings and my wife who walks with great difficulty, not safe enough to hold a kettle, cannot bend down low enough to use a cooker or put a pair of socks on is considered not disabled enough for benefits.

Sounds familiar

Nevertheless, all parts for your boiler are readily available so there's no reason to change it

You'd be better off tracking down a recommended Potterton engineer in your area and employing him to continue caring for your boiler, whilst you continue caring for your wife. Get the right man for the job (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back