Joining Cat 5 cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to move my switch and server in my network. That will involve lengthening a couple of cat 5 cables as I can't remove them without considerable disruption.

Is there a preferred and most reliable way of adding to the cables?

Thank you in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Cat 5 patch cables or fixed wiring? I'm pretty sure you can get proper extenders for both.

In effect, they're long patch cables in that I terminated each end of a cable with the plug using the proper crimper. One end goes into a PC, printer, print server etc., the other into the switch in it's current position.

I can easily cut off the plus and connect in whatever way is best for reliability.

Sponsored Links
Excellent, thank you. Just wanted to be sure as there in nothing worse than an intermittent network fault.

Same thing from here:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2657

...but with free delivery, so about 70p delivered if you don't mind waiting the few days delivery from Hong Kong.

In my experience there's no real loss in reliability/quality over a gigabit cat5e-based network when you introduce joints/connections, as long as they're sound.

I've used them loads in commercial networks, brilliant when you need to join two cables. The company i worked for paid £6+VAT for each one though from their supplier (computerland) lol
RJ11 to RJ45 for phones are also handy.

Yes, definitely use those couplers. I've never had an issue with those.

RJ45 couplers are a big style bodge, if you do buy them get some good quality ones. Are we talking a couple of cables or hundreds/thousands?

If it were me and I couldnt extend the cables easily I would try to leave the switch in situ and extend the cable to the server.

RJ45 couplers are a big style bodge, if you do buy them get some good quality ones. Are we talking a couple of cables or hundreds/thousands?

If it were me and I couldnt extend the cables easily I would try to leave the switch in situ and extend the cable to the server.

Have to disagree. This is industry standard practice. If you need to lengthen cables and don't want to have to replace the entire length, eg relocating a patch panel or moving a power/network pole. However you do introduce a slight potential for interference in that the twisted pairs become untwisted for about an inch and a half. Stagger the joints.

Depends if the installation is to adhere to Cat5 specifications or not, any join shouldn't exceed 12.5mm in length making sure that twisted pairs are twisted as close as possible to the join.

Thank you for your varied replies.

I have to move the switch as it is in a cupboard attached to a wall, the wall being removed to combine two rooms

In my naivety, I quite like the look of the IDC joint box with telephone style connectors and I lined the top of the walls above the suspended ceilings with strips of shuttering ply in all the rooms to enable easy and mess free subsequent fitting of clips / boxes etc. Also, I've occasionally had to pull network plugs out of the back of things to freshen up the wee plastic spring bit to make a more reliable connection and that was worrying me about using a double female socket above the ceiling.

I reckon it's only three cables, the rest being long enough to re route to the new position and some I'll replace, so it's only a small expense whichever route is chosen

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back