joining copper to a lead pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shortly I will have to cut out a lead mains pipe in a kitchen and connect to and rerun in copper. I remember years ago listening to a plumber getting 'upset' with a 'leadlock' that refused to seal. Have things moved on from 15 years ago or is there a more reliable fitting that you pro's use these days?

Sponsored Links
Leadlocs are still the way and treated correctly with some respect they work...
I have used a few around here and they are still doing their job ;)
The trick is the clean straight cut on a bit of the lead that isnt dented,squat or misshaped.......and cleaning up the end before joining......i always set the copper into the leadloc first to save any heavy handedness afterwards...even if you take it out before making the connection...

Just out of interest phone your local water company...most do the "lead replacement scheme" where you (the plumber) get a new blue pipe from the pathway to the kitchen and they connect it free of charge doing away with the lead altogether

That's interesting, I like the idea of someone else taking out all the lead and doing the job for me. Have you used a lead joint called a philmac? are they any better?

Someone other than the water company has to get the blue pipe from the path into your house...
Then the water company make the connection, which is free

No i have only ever used leadloc.....only because thats what i was taught to use and have had no problems with them......

Sponsored Links
Just out of interest phone your local water company...most do the "lead replacement scheme" where you (the plumber) get a new blue pipe from the pathway to the kitchen and they connect it free of charge doing away with the lead altogether[/quote]

i read an article in the latest UKcopperclub leaflet saying if all internal lead is removed contact the water authority who have to come and renew the external lead at their cost, even better result :LOL:

i read an article in the latest UKcopperclub leaflet saying if all internal lead is removed contact the water authority who have to come and renew the external lead at their cost, even better result :LOL:

They just give you a new connection. Up to you to put the poly in.

i read an article in the latest UKcopperclub leaflet saying if all internal lead is removed contact the water authority who have to come and renew the external lead at their cost, even better result icon_lol.gif
Urban myth

When you first contact them they send a guy out to look at the set up.....he tells you how close to the path to come with your pipe and how deep he expects you to bury said pipe etc......when you have done this he will come back and make sure you have done it correctly....then in 7 days they make arrangements for the guys to connect it...

I realy realy do not recommend just ripping the lead out and phoning them up.....you will have a shock and a hefty bill....
Laying the poly is perfectly ok in the hands of a competant diyer if you follow their instructions

*ugger that then lads, that'll turn my job from a drama into a crisis! thanks all of you for highlighting all the pitfalls of replacing the pipe.

So to clarify, is a leadlock better than a philmac coupling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back