Joining lead pipe to plastic then to copper...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to cut out a section of my lead hot water pipe and replace with plastic. The lead pipe has one pinhole leak and another leak where it joins the copper pipe (see picture; the tape is redirecting the leak from the join). Plastic would be preferable as the section from the lead to the copper is not quite a straight line. My question is, are the 'lead to copper' fittings (eg Leadloc) compatible with plastic (with inserts in the plastic)? Are they only suitable for the blue MDPE plastic or can they be used with standard grey barrier pipe?

The lead pipe is large; diameter is 1 5/16", the copper pipe is 22mm.

PS I can't simply replace all the lead due as I'd have to replace all the flooring...

Sponsored Links
I phoned Philmac's technical help, they advised all their products were for cold water only... This is for a hot water pipe.

Replaced lead pipes with speedfit, can go different way, does not have to go where lead pipe goes. Better than having more pinholes leaks in future.

Is the flooring tongue and groove? Why can't you get under flooring ?

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
Replaced lead pipes with speedfit, can go different way, does not have to go where lead pipe goes. Better than having more pinholes leaks in future.

Is the flooring tongue and groove? Why can't you get under flooring ?

Daniel.

I wish... It's on its way to the bathroom so I'd have to rip up the kitchen floor then the hallway then the bathroom. However, I could easily run it through the loft then back in through the bathroom ceiling! The only drawback being heat loss, probably insignificant if I insulate the pipe well... I am considering this.

PS I can't simply replace all the lead due as I'd have to replace all the flooring...

Lead-loc, good up to 80 degC, joims to metal or plastic.
http://www.melimatic.com/4.html

You need to replace the lead, but you know that. There's something in the Water Regulations about the galvanic series and the sequence in which you can connect different metals, but I don't recall which way it goes. The copper would tend to perforate from fragments of lead.

If the lead pipe has pinholed in one place, it may be leaking under the floor, which could cause huge problems.

galvanic series and the sequence in which you can connect different metals, but I don't recall which way it goes. The copper would tend to perforate from fragments of lead.

If the lead pipe has pinholed in one place, it may be leaking under the floor, which could cause huge problems.
I can`t remember the sequence either - but copper is ok with lead - copper nails used with lead sheet ;)

There is a metal adaptor for 1" 16lb lead which is for OD roughly 11/2". It goes to 11/2" female BSP. It's called Leadline.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back