joining oak worktop to quartz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need some advice about joining a oak woorktop 40mm Thick to some quartz 30mm thick any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
guy

Sponsored Links
Hard to advise without more detail about the wood, but generally I would think it best to support both of them independently and just fill the gap with an appropriate sealant. A forced marriage could end in tears, especially in a damps environment like a kitchen or bathroom.

If the oak is in the form of a wide board(s), be careful to allow it to expand/contract across its width, or it will crack. So if you were screwing up into it from battens underneath, then drill oval holes in the battens to allow the screws to move from side to side a bit as the oak board expands/contracts.

Never glue two bits of wood together if their grains are at 90 degrees, unless they're less than a couple of inches wide.

Thanks for your time and advice.. the oak is full stave 3m long and sold as a work top.
Its now got about 7 coats of oil on and looks beautiful !!!!!
I got it fixed today and like you said used oval holes ( slotted brackets )
I have decided to treat the two materials as separate jobs fixing them independently with a small amount of sealant.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back