Joining one cylinder to another

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 900mmx450mm size cylinder about 114 litres and I have plenty room for another next to it. Is it possible to join them together? I need more hot water capacity due to a large bath, two mixer showers etc.

Sponsored Links
Ok, so i'll parallel all the pipework and provide seperate feed at same height from the cisterm above and extend the flow/return pipework too.

What happens about the thermostat? Is it acceptable to just have the one thermostat on the original cylinder and assume they'll both heat properly?

Ok, so i'll parallel all the pipework and provide seperate feed at same height from the cisterm above and extend the flow/return pipework too.

What happens about the thermostat? Is it acceptable to just have the one thermostat on the original cylinder and assume they'll both heat properly?

Wrong :rolleyes:

You must have, a common cold feed or you will have an open gravity circuit through the cold storage tank.

You must also have a secondary circuit, connected as a reverse return.

Sponsored Links
would this design below work?

The red circle bottom right represents my CH pump. Blue box is cold cistern. Make sense?

My thermostat goes to the cylinder on the left, Presumably the cylinder on the right won't need a thermostat then?

The primary side and cold feed would be fine as the drawing but not the secondary circuit.

As the drawing is, one cylinder will be dominant, whereas the other could stagnate.

See my last post.

Very good Kev :cool: thats what it want for the secondary circuit. so get drawing. :idea:

na

if you think about it

where you gonna put the stat if nothing else

if on the left once it opens the other cyl gets no heat

if on the right the left cyl will heat to the boiler temp before the other is hot

the way you had the primary in your first drawing is a better plan

or even the reverse return i posted

along with the sec reverse return dia posted

simple this plumbing lark innit ;)

Good day Dan, trust you are well. :cool:

Have added the primary circuit to the drawing.

Not shown are individual valves for shutting either cylinder off for servicing.

View media item 16536

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back