Joining onto black alcyethene pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, a few months ago I changed a hotwater cylinder that an old plastic black aclyethene pipe as the cold feed. Had a brass fitting compression fitting on the end so just joined back on, plenety of boss white and hope for the best.

Last night had a phone call to say the pipe had fractured and flooded bathroom.

Has anyone got any thoughts on how to cut the pipe and join eithier new section of plastic or copper to join back on to cylinder.

It's and old farm house and snakes around for miles behind roofspaces and walls, so don't want to renew complete pipe unless I have to.

Over to you guys.

Matt

Sponsored Links
hello mat

if its the stuff I am thinking off they do push fit connectors for it at drainage centre (plumb centre) just take a sample with you so they can give you the correct insert (think it comes in either 20mm or 25mm)

then you can replace a section with luvverly blue poly

The pipe is for buried aplications and not intended to be used above ground.

beermatt3 said:
Hi everyone, a few months ago I changed a hotwater cylinder that had an old black alkathene pipe as the cold feed. Had a brass compression fitting on the end so just joined back on with plenty of boss white and hoped for the best.

Last night had a phone call to say the pipe had fractured and flooded bathroom.

Has anyone got any thoughts.

It's in an old farm house and snakes around for miles behind roofspaces and walls, so don't want to renew complete pipe unless I have to.

Matt
Get your arse into gear and crawl round the voids...........I used to and I`m 6 foot plus :LOL: I hope you don`t mean E. Sussex..........I`ve spent 30 years doing things properly in these parts :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The old black Alkathyne used to be imperial sizing, so 1/2" alk use's 3/4" couplings and 3/4" alk use's 1" couplings. I've never come across push fit connecters. You can buy imperial olives (3/4") and use 22mm compression fitting to make joint.

I think it must be the agricultural stuff-I've seen quite a bit of that stuff around my parts but I know city plumbing do adaptors in plastic compression the same as for the blue poly pipe,only problem is apparently there are about 7 different 'grades' for each size so you always need a sample which isnt easy if it's a water main that you have to work on like most of the ones I've worked on have been.
I usually just ask for the most common one and it has always worked luckily!
By the way....hi everyone....my first post. :D

chr15 said:
I think it must be the agricultural stuff-I've seen quite a bit of that stuff around my parts :eek: :LOL:
By the way....hi everyone....my first post. :D
Then we`ll call you Bamber.........Grass Groin.......... :LOL: Welcome to the asylum

The Philmac range of compression fittings (durapipe.co.uk) will allow you to joint or convert from alkathene to copper etc.

Good news, the fracture was right by the brass fitting, so was able to knock the cone on a bit more and cut the pipe back and remake the joint.

Sorrted.

Matt - NigF, yes I am in East Sussex and I always do thing properly. Spelling is my downfall.

You can`t spellcheck Alkathene used as a cold feed to a hot storage cyl. :rolleyes: It`s a bodge and should be ripped out :LOL: :LOL:

I think you are out of order calling it a bodge, it's whats was done 30 - 40 years ago, who's to say that our speed fit culture today will not be classed as a bodge job in 50 years time. At the time it is acceptable and thats good enough for me.

You are not talking to a 3 month college universtity graduate, I have been in the trade for 20 years and my Dad the last 50, so I would not class my self as a bodger. But we all no that some jobs you have to 'get over' as best we can.

Matt

NigeF - where in East Sussex are you, I coming to get you!

I agree with beer matt, dont see anything wrong in remaking an old joint, saves you have to haul your arse thou **** pulling new lines and saves the client the cash

Was a bit harsh 00 Nige

corgiman said:
I agree with beer matt, dont see anything wrong in remaking an old joint, saves you have to haul your a**e thou s**t pulling new lines and saves the client the cash

Was a bit harsh 00 Nige
Yeah, I think you are right :oops: I wrongly expected everyone to think that old alkathene is totally unsuitable for that situation..and the failure was caused by it being smeared with linseed oil jointing...In the first place...Not recently by Beermatt...And if it`s really old pre-standardised pipe then it can perish anyway. I apologise. But I personally would have told the client it should be replaced.wether they, or anyone else believes me is irelevant.....I will also say that "getting over" a problem job does not make the person a bodger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back