Joining Screed Bays

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Here's my story, hoping this thread won't be moved to DIY disasters section :mrgreen:. I started laying a new floor screed 75mm but with only me doing the work, it took ages and I was exhuasted. The room is 8 square metres consiting of 2 main large bays and I've managed to do 1 full bay but didn't have time to do the remaining bay next to it. I really need to continue the other bay, but would I have to wait for the other bay to dry first or can I just go ahead, prime, then PVA bond my next bay immediately so I can finish off the floor?

Want to lay ceramic tiles over the whole screeded area when all cured, but from what I've read, I have to wait 4 weeks? Is this right?? Really can't wait any longer than 3 really.

BTW: This is traditional screed 75mm over 25mm firm rigid insulation (not polystyrene)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Far better to continue straight away. I would use a cement grout on the joint rather than PVA.

Wetting the joint will be enough and do it whilst the other section is still curing - like now. Leaving some chicken wire sticking out of the joint may have been an idea but it is only a screed.

I'm of the opinion that if you are laying tiles on a cement based adhesive then the floor need not be entirely dry.

Cement loves water. Cement loathes and detests dry.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,

Wetting the joint will be enough and do it whilst the other section is still curing - like now. Leaving some chicken wire sticking out of the joint may have been an idea but it is only a screed.

I'm of the opinion that if you are laying tiles on a cement based adhesive then the floor need not be entirely dry.

Cement loves water. Cement loathes and detests dry.

Ok well just to be on the safe side, I'll apply 3:1 PVA to Water, wait to go tacky so it will bond the next bay to the previous one and will do this tomorrow.
Will start laying tiles on cement based adhesive in around 10-14 days.

Thank you so much, this has been a great help and I can now continue!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back