Joining wiring within trunking - crimp or solder?

Yes, that should work - there's enough trunking before they fork off into the conduit to trace them back and re-wire them into the new sockets, and then extend the original wires to meet the new sockets - is a single crimp within the trunking going to be safe, do you think?

Sponsored Links
Single crimp with heat shrink over it, I'd suggest. Though if it was me I'd solder ('cos I've done hundreds of them over the years).

We're certainly not adverse to solder & heat shrink if it makes a better connection. In fact I probably prefer it to crimping.

Sponsored Links
Nice suggestion, thankyou - I will look into them. I am just more familiar with soldering myself if I am helping the electrician - my background is electronics so I more familiar with an iron than a crimp tool.

yes they are crimps..
you crimo the metal tube in the middle, then shrink the covers at the ends onto the cable and in doing so melt the hot glue so it adhered to the cable..

How about heatshrink ended crimps? neat sealed connection and nothing can get caught in the ends (unlike regular plastic covered crimps) e.g. http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-C...-Conn./Heat-shrink-butt-splices/63945[/QUOTE]

Are they actually crimps - they don't state it anywhere, and mention adhesive which implies they're not?

If they are, they sound like a neat idea...
Yes - I think the adhesive refers to the inside of the heat shrink, often heatshrink is lined with hot melt adhesive as well to make it more effective.

They're a bit pricey - a lot extra to pay for something you'll never see if you don't actually need the sealant properties of the adhesive....

For my purposes though, is there anything wrong with a soldered and heatshrunk joint? I think this is what we will most likely go for, either that or standard butt crimps with heatshrink over the entire joint.

Of those two is there any reason to lean towards one solution?

For my purposes though, is there anything wrong with a soldered and heatshrunk joint? I think this is what we will most likely go for, either that or standard butt crimps with heatshrink over the entire joint.

Of those two is there any reason to lean towards one solution?

I've used both with equal success. Where space is too tight to get the crimp tool in a soldered joint is often still possible and usually less bulky than a crimp.

Crimping is faster IME (I do my soldered joints by pre-tinning the two conductors, then soldering a binding wire to one conductor and using it to bind the two tightly together and then flow solder over the whole area ensuring it wicks through to the other side).

Go with whichever you are more confident to do.

Not really an issue, the wire will be slack when I solder it, and there's plenty of room to work. We'll see which we do then.

I think crimping might end up a bit neater, so I'll probably crimp & shrink.

They're a bit pricey - a lot extra to pay for something you'll never see if you don't actually need the sealant properties of the adhesive....
The thing that would make me reluctant to use normal crimps in a conduit/trunking situation is that they seem to splay outwards at the ends leaving a groove. I could easilly see something like a fish wire getting caught in that groove with potentially nasty consequences.

You're not going to bother even attempting to to pull the wires back are you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back