Joining wiring within trunking - crimp or solder?

I will try with the first one before we cut but I honestly don't think there's much chance of it working, most of the conduits run for at least 10m and through at least two right angles. I will try and let you know though.

Sponsored Links
Pulling them back will also induce a large workload with respect to gaining access the the current 16 sockets, most of which are not easily accessible and at height. It depends how neat and acceptable crimping within trunking is.

I am waiting on these bushes arriving first so I can mount the boxes before we start touching the existing installation.

Edit: I do appreciate that pulling them back would eliminate any remote possibility of identifying the wrong cable, which is something else in it's favour.

I have a feeling that a couple of the shortest runs may not have the slack to reach the new plug positions, so I am anticipating that one or two crimps within the trunking may be unavoidable.

Oh sorry, my mistake.

I didn't realise that any installation method that takes too much effort was to be discarded :rolleyes:

Do you have the apropriate insurance to be carrying out this work?

Check out my wee beastie :LOL:

Fursedimmer-1.jpg

Phwoar. Showtec demux too :D

Sponsored Links
Send me the showtec demux then :LOL:

Oh carp - you edited your post whilst I wrote mine :LOL:

Yes, we have two qualified electricians on site.

It's not to discard something that adds workload, but I would be interested in a realistic appraisal of the avoidance of risk - re-wiring 16 sockets at height of around 25 feet induces an amount of risk, how much risk do crimps in the trunking actually pose?

If you were to say that they should be avoided at all costs then I would pursue the avenue of pulling the cables back at any cost, which could extend a half-day job into two or three days - but if the methods discussed for joining within trunking are an acceptable way of working then I'm merely weighing up options - of course it would be nicer if they could be pulled back, but perhaps this will not be possible.

There seems to be a difference of opinion on the acceptability of the alternative, which is what I am trying to investigate, as opposed to disregarding any option. I would be interested to hear what you think about the viability of the options of crimping or soldering, the realistic risks and drawbacks of the two methods, and the realistic savings in risk of pulling cables back.

Or would you still recommend an adaptable steel box with DIN rail and Klippon over crimping or soldering within the trunking? That would still be a viable option if pulling back doesn't work.

Putting a box with a DIN rail on the outside might not be a bad idea actually if we can't pull back.

I do my soldered joints by pre-tinning the two conductors, then soldering a binding wire to one conductor and using it to bind the two tightly together and then flow solder over the whole area ensuring it wicks through to the other side.
Lightweight.

There are some far superior methods of making a mechanically strong joint before soldering here: http://www.markhellerelectric.com/solder.pdf

Brings back my appo days!
Note that conduit wire is usually stranded, we used to separate out the strands into 3 and 4, then do similar to fig 3 but wrap one set of cores clockwise to the left and the other set anticlockwise to the right keeping them flat against the host cable.

We tried pulling some of the cables through the conduit today and it wasn't a success - most of these are 12 2.5mm cables through 20mm conduit for at least 10m and a couple of right angles, so they weren't going anywhere at all unfortunately.

We are going to order some 2.5mm DIN terminals, rails and adaptable steel boxes, and surface mount them further back along the trunking. This isnt' as neat a solution as pulling them back but unfortunately it will have to do.

Does anyone recommend anywhere for sourcing these items? We were looking at CLE electrical, who have the terminals and rail, and get the boxes from Screwfix - is there anyone who supplies boxes with rail pre-mounted inside? Preferably steel.

CLE have some but they are all far too large for out needs, mostly with 4mm terminals too.

Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back