Joist end repair. Big hole- Use hanger instead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Hope you can be of help again. I’m in the process of replacing 2 joist ends in my bathroom. I’m using steel L plates from Property Repairs. It’s an old Victorian terrace and the bathroom is on the rear aspect where the outer is rendered. There was some historical wood worm which had eaten T the ends. The joist have been cut in accordance with advice from coy and treated with boron gel.

To fit the steel L plates in the existing hole, I’ve had to take about 15-20mm from the height of a brick as the old joists were notched on the bottom.

I’ve completed one of the joists but the second of the holes is quite large, mostly due to the waste pipe being adjacent and the brick to the immediate left a little loose which makes me a little nervous. I want to ensure that whatever I do is safe and doesn’t compromise the current structure. I’m aware that these old buildings are full of things that can scare the bejesus out of an amateur, once you start scratching the surface!! (Having replaced whole ground sub floor!)
I’ve got 2 options which I’d very much appreciate advice on, the wife and kids want their bathroom back! The joist is currently supported with an Acrow in the kitchen.

- I continue to remove the required brick (with grinder) and lay the steel L beam in the original hole. Making good the brick around it? Don’t like hacking at the wall.

- use a joist hanger and rebuild the a missing brick around it, hopefully adding some integrity to that area? Less cutting and messing with brick! This would appear the easiest to do in situ. I could back fill the hole with mortar and ensure bricks are cut to size. I like this option best ( fuzzy feeling from sorting the hole!)

- if option 1 , should I then use mortar to secure the new L steel in place and make good where I can. I was slightly concerned if there was any movement afterwards which may cause issues with the security of the wall.

I’m trying to get this done ASAP but appreciate the need to do a proper job. Thanks all for your advice.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody, Will do once I’m home. Was looking at the sabrefix hangers that can be secured in the brick and mortar. Don’t like messing about with bricks in this old house, especially seeing some of the work the previous owners have carried out!! Looking forward to getting the ply down so I can crack on with the shower.

9BB5BD0F-6004-43EA-A598-38ADDC8D4A09.jpeg
9BB5BD0F-6004-43EA-A598-38ADDC8D4A09.jpeg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 193
Sponsored Links
If building in, I’ll have to take another 10-15mm from the height of the lower brick.

thanks in advance for any advice

best

I see. It's six of one and half a dozen of another. I suppose there is no easy option, it's whatever you think is easiest.

Another option, - consider leveling that bearing off in the wall with a bit of mortar, and then notching the timber joist splice into the wall, and then fit the splice plates up to the wall face, not into it.

If building the joists in, remember to soak the end grain with preservative or wrap it in polythene.

Thanks Woody.

The splice plates don’t need you to replace the cut off part of the joist, so the last 16 inches will be steel only.

I backfilled that hole with a brick some ready mix mortar earlier. The simplest option is to take more from the brick, but I’m nervous if that breaks and I’ve got an even bigger hole!!

if I use the hangers, I’ll be able to fit them without any tension as I’ve got the acro supporting. I’d make the hole good and cut bricks to the right size, allowing for a good mortar course. Bolt the hanger to the steel splicer and remove the Acrow after 24 hrs or so??

Does that sound sensible? Also, would you use a strong mortar mix or would a ready mix tub do the trick?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back