Joist hanging in mid-air (pic enclosed.)

You have got the gist of my suggestion regards repairing the floor but this in no way is there to support the chimney that remains above.

It would be helpful is Shytalkz would take a peek.

Sponsored Links
here are some photos

swb5g2.jpg

anop50.jpg

2i71f7q.jpg
[/img]

Woah!

That trimming (not trimmer Nose ;)) joist looks like it's actually been cut close to the bearing? Whatever the reason, it's not there to provide direct support to the stack following removal of the masonry at ground floor level: it just supports the trimmer and trimmed joists around the stack.

Nose's suggestion is a good one, although that still leaves the issue of the stack and how to support it.

Assuming that the stack will be staying, then, before you put in the additional timber per Nose's suggestion, place a 152UC23 within the floor depth, running under the outer brickwork to the stack. This will mean having to cut through the trimmer to the left hand side of the stack and putting this on a hanger. Then put double timbers 6x2 into the web of the beam and built into the external wall under the stack walls running north south. Pack up between steels and timbers and the underside of the stack masonry with slate packing as necessary.

Then you can run the new 7x2 to pick up the end of the short trimmer and span this between the beam and the adjacent 7x2. Build into beam web; support off hanger onto joist.

Steel beam bearing direct to flettons will be fine, no need for any padstones.

HTH. Damn, I've just seen the time....nighty night!

Now that we have some piccies, i have noticed (luckily for the o.p.) that the chimney is well tied in. There is a course of headers visible then i think i can see another course of headers six courses up the flue.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that, by identifying the tying-in, there is no need to pick up the bottom?

If so, you can't rely on that: the flue is unlined and chemical action of the smoke on the lime mortar will have knocked its stickability into a cocked hat - especially to the whiffs.

Are you saying that, by identifying the tying-in, there is no need to pick up the bottom?

You kiddin' me Shy? :eek:

Au contraire, i was merely blowing a precautionary sigh of relief for the o.p., in that small children and the elderly within the house can sleep tonight without worry.

That's ok then, for a brief minute I thought you'd taken leave of your senses :LOL:

Thanks for your help guys, we got a builder in to sort it out and now have a RSJ fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back