HELP, ceiling doesn’t look like it’s attached to anything.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
So I have an not level ceiling so today I planned on removing it, sistering joists to straighten it up and then plasterboarding. The ceiling is lath and plaster that has since been over boarded, so a lot to come down. So here I was in the attic trying to kick the ceiling down and then look at the end of the joists and none of them look like they are attached to anything! From the photo you can see that they seem to be resting on bits of slate or the wall plaster. Is this normal? Looks crazy unsafe so have got down and will attempt to remove plaster from below. Could someone tell me how to fix this? Do I need to install joist hangers or just fix timber to the walls and have the joists nailed to them? Nothing above other than loft insulation and not going to be using it for storage.
Thanks all,
Joe.

Attachments

• CCE8DE25-C6C2-4551-915A-EF9E74975828.jpeg
    CCE8DE25-C6C2-4551-915A-EF9E74975828.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 92E11A53-2A0A-42FA-B0D1-44B8662B1A85.jpeg
    92E11A53-2A0A-42FA-B0D1-44B8662B1A85.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
There will be vertical timber hangers further back, supporting the ceiling joists off the higher main roof purlins, rafters or ridge board.
There won't actually be much weight at the end each joist where they rest on the plaster, but agree not good practice!

Hi Tony, thanks for your response. No vertical timber hangers that I can see although the joists are on bricks on the other end so supported that end. What do you reccomend to remedy solution?

Ok update, the first two joists were held in with one nail against the rafter and left balancing on the wall on the other side. There seems to be a structure already built to hold up the roof (see attachment), so am I right in saying that these joists are purely for holding up ceiling and if so, can I just cut them all down and replace with new? Would make life much easier!
Thanks

Attachments

• CBAD88E6-DB28-40DE-A60A-E797E15C2F3F.jpeg
    CBAD88E6-DB28-40DE-A60A-E797E15C2F3F.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 7F53E57C-B19F-43DE-A8AC-1117A17F2CFA.jpeg
    7F53E57C-B19F-43DE-A8AC-1117A17F2CFA.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
The large timbers are purlins which should span wall to wall and pick up the roof rafters anywhere between a third and midpoint of their length.
The diagonal timber needs following back to see what that is resting on or fixed to as that is also supporting the roof and the white horizontal beam also as the purlin is effectively supported by that and you need to see why it is there and is it securely fixed.
Well worth checking that the roof is supported at the top and bottom of the rafters where there should be a wallplate but given the fact that the ceiling rafters were not sat on one it may well be a very old non standard (or Regulated) construction. You could check that the ceiling is seperate by trying to push it upwards with a rake and if so it should show some movement upwards but be careful it does not come down on you.
Once satisfied it is seperate it would be better taking it all down and starting afresh with wallplate bolted face on and new joist hangers etc. p.s it is a VERY dirty job so cover up well with all the usual PPE and tape off the doorway or the rest of the house will suffer.

Hi, It shares a centre wall with next door yes. It looks like the purlin is supported in the brick wall on either side. I’ve now removed all ceiling joists as they weren’t supporting anything and have started building a new frame so looks like all sorted.
Thanks For your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back