Joist level adjustment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

I would like to ask 2 questions please. I am converting loft on 1930’s terraced house.

1. I am trying to put new floor joists alongside the old ones but I would need the bottom side of these new joists to be higher (to connect to perpendicular steel beam running through the middle of the floor in order to avoid chimney). I am thinking about nailing circa 83mm thick noggins between the existing joists and then connect new joists to these. Also there is another steel beam (that is picking up aforementioned perpendicular steel beam by chimney) that would be even slightly higher. I am thinking about putting steel shims to get the right level for steel beam but I’m unsure how to connect it properly so it doesn't move
Picture 1.JPG
. (please see “Picture 1”)
2. I found this picture online (please see “Picture 2”). Someone maximizing the area of new dormer by putting the dormer cheek onto the wall. Can I do this on my terraced house with a party wall (putting it on my side of party wall). What would be the best way to fix the soleplate onto the wall? Layer of mortar and / or bolt it to the top of the wall?
Picture 2.jpg

Thank you.

Theo.

Sponsored Links
The only time I can think of when you would fix a new loft floor to existing ceiling joists, is when you want all your ceilings to crack.

Timber wall plates are secured with steel straps. 5x25x1000 or thereabouts. Why hasn't your plan monkey detailed how to build it?

The only time I can think of when you would fix a new loft floor to existing ceiling joists, is when you want all your ceilings to crack.

Timber wall plates are secured with steel straps. 5x25x1000 or thereabouts. Why hasn't your plan monkey detailed how to build it?

New loft floor is not connected to existing ceiling joists. New joists are supposed to sit on an existing wall plate. Is this not a good idea?
The only problem is that their bottom edge is higher than those of existing joists. Therefore I was asking how to fill this gap between existing wall plate and new joist.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back