Joist - ? - Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bathroom project.

All old floor boards removed and joists exposed, so my question is what do I put down before laying porcelain tiles?

I know the adhesive wants to be cement based flexi but am unsure of the substrate to use.

Will 12mm cement based boards be sufficient to tile over on their own?

Sponsored Links
You can't fix 12mm tile backer directly to the joist, it's nowhere near strong enough - you'll be straight through it.

I'd recommend:

Use exterior grade ply - minimum 18mm but 22mm is better. Depends on how far spaced your joists are though. Use lots of noggins to help strengthen the floor and support the ply. Screw it to the joists and noggins - I fix every 4 inches but that's probably more than necessary.

Then overboard with 6mm hardie backer board / other tile backer board. If you are going to under floor heat then use an insulated backer like Marmox.

For adhesive use a rapid set single part flexible like Weber set Rapid SPF. Use white if the tiles are light coloured and grey if they're dark.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks very much. I did ask at the builders merchants and they came up with the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back