Joist Width at 1.5"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope you are able to help.

During some renovating I found the joists on my ceiling/floor are 1.5" wide by 8" and spaced every 15/16". I was surprised as the minimum width I've see people refer to is 2".

Does this suggest my joists at 1.5" are not thick enough/conform to regs?

The house was built in 1995/1996. The room in question is 3.5m x 3.5m.

Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
If they are still up, they are OK.

Woody thanks but this doesnt clarify specifically re my question on regs. Structure is still standing but I'd like to know what regs at the time suggests re the required width.

In another room the floor on the right is lower than the floor on the left by 25mm and the centre is 35mm lower than the floor on the left. So while its still standing the situation is not ideal.

Thanks.

You are referring to the span tables, and those are just a guide. The building regs don't specify a size

Sponsored Links
Using the span tables would suggest the joists you have are about right.

If a floor has dropped at one end only then joist size does not sound like the issue.

.Approved document A 2010
Section 2B: Sizes of certain timber members in floors and roofs for dwellings.
Sizing of members
2B1 Guidance on the sizing of certain members in floors and roofs is given in ‘Span tables for solid timber members in floors, ceilings and roofs excluding trussed rafter roofs) for dwellings’, published by TRADA,

38x200 @ 400 centres conforms to the guidance in current Trada span tables and span tables given in archived 1992 Approved Document A
Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back