Judging the floor board hole for radiator tail pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When fitting a new radiator, I assume that I first start my centralising the radiator on the wall, screw brackets and hang radiator.

As a next step, I need to determine exactly where the tail pipes hit the floor board so I can drill the floor and connect these to the flow and return under the floor board.

Q. How do I determine exactly where to drill this floor board hole as the tail pipe is only around 20cm long (above floor), I cant get a level on this, to mark an appropriate point on the floorboard?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Attach the two valves and use a small spirit level to mark where the pipe will go through the floor , if you are worried you can't get the level to sit flat on the imaginary pipe then use a tape measure to measure the distance between the level and where the imaginary pipe is then transfer this to the floor

The hole doesn't have to be perfect you won't see it and don't forget to drill a larger hole than the pipe you are using to allow for expansion and contraction

My smallest level around 25cm is too big to put under the valve. There is less than 25cm distance between the valve and the floor.

That's why I said about using a tape measure to measure the distance between the level and where the pipe will be and transferring that measurement to the floor.

I.e place level vertical against valve and touching floor , level the level and use a tape measure to measure from level to where pipe will come out the valve , then transfer this measurement to the floor

The other way is to use a plumb Bob

Sponsored Links
Cut a piece of pipe just long enough to go in valve, but short enough to clear floor. You will see exactly where to drill floor then.

Cut a piece of pipe just long enough to go in valve, but short enough to clear floor. You will see exactly where to drill floor then.
Wouldn’t this still have the issue of not being able to get my level in alongside this short stub of pipe?

Wouldn’t this still have the issue of not being able to get my level in alongside this short stub of pipe?

Make pipe long enough to touch floor and stay in valve. Losen and twist valve to get it in then twist back... Then stand back and use your eyes to get it plumb.

What size spade bit should I use for the 15mm pipe please?

20mm or 25 if the 20's blunt :whistle:

Set the bottom of the rad to be 1" off top of skirting.

werent you talking about buying a line laser in a previous post? if you did its a piece if cake to mark where to make the holes
Will add this to the business case for a laser level. I can see how it would be perfect in this situation

Kin'ell... It's only 20cm! How bad are your eyes? ;)
And theres always carpet or these in chrome as well if you b@lls it up F61709D8-3EF0-45CA-85B8-31EA74046640.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back