Jump starting, sparking at last terminal!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks!

Tried jumpstarting motor last evening and got sparks from the last terminal when I tried to put jump lead on! Think it could be that i put jump leads on live battery first, checked leads on correctly- neg. and pos. no metal near motors which were far enough apart for me to walk between. Checked nothing switched on. There was resistance as heat built up in jump leads when I put last terminal onto battery quickly. Took of jump leads quickly and grabbed a fire extinguisher in case!! :eek:

First time this has happened to me since i stopped using a starting handle! :LOL: your comments and suggestion will be greatly appreciated, thank you very much!

Sponsored Links
some small amount of yellow sparking is normal, as would be feeling some warmth in the leads. a flat battery is capable of taking quite a significant electrical flow..

If you short circuit a healthy battery, you'll know about it - there'll be blue sparks and hundreds of amps will turn your jump lead into a smoking mess in a few seconds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfFViY1-zYw

connect the positives of the two batteries using jump leads, it doesn't matter what order. ensure no lead can fall and contact the metal of the car

connect the black jumplead to the negative of the good battery

connect the other end to a chunky bit of exposed, bare metal that is connected to the engine or the bodywork. some sparking is normal. loud popping noises, blue sparks and melted metal is bad. check you didn't connect any positive to any negative

start the engine on the good car and leave it idling for 5 minutes while you go make a cup of tea. this gives the good car chance to charge the bad battery. do not attempt to start the dead car. the dear car will get most of its starting power from its battery, not your jumpleads
most people make the mistake of jumping in the dead car right away and trying to start it. even if you do get it started, the charging system may not charge the battery and you'll soon be back stuck on the roadside

after 5 minutes, start the dead car. remove the leads in reverse order of fitting
drive the dead car home and put the battery on charge on a mains charger. don't assume that driving it round for half an hour will charge the battery, especially if you ignored the "wait 5 minutes" advice

-

many factors are at play in jumping a car. if you have massive, heavy thick booster cables and they connect well enough to each car then maybe you can try the dead car immediately. the good car battery might have enough juice to withstand the load and it will be the good car battery that starts the engine. the dead car may never charge the dead battery if its voltage is too low, or it may merely succeed in overcharging it and ruining it

think of batteries like buckets and chargers like taps. when dead a battery is like an empty bucket. a trickle charger fills it slowly. a firehydrant fills it quickly but runs the risk of damaging the bucket.

car batteries aren't meant to be discharged lower than about 80%, and slamming them with fast charge rates when they're low heats hem up, buckles the internal plates causing shorts and reduces or kills them completely. the more full a battery is the better it can resist being slammed with charge. if your battery is totally dead, don't even try and jump it. take it off and put it on a trickle charger instead. the charging time will be written on the battery.. at a rate of 1amp charge an 80 ampere-hour battery (that's a big battery) will take 80 hours, or nearly 4 days to charge completely. 1amp is a very trickle charge. car alternators are usually more than 50 amps - potentially slamming with charge, but even a 50 amp alternator would take an hour and a half to charge an 80 Ah battery.. this is why I say drive it home and put it on charge. I've rescued so many morons from roadsides who got a quick jump of a very low battery, took it for a 20 minute drive to charge it not realising that it stood little chance, if any of charging sufficiently, and then stalled it in the middle of a roundabout or something daft. if the car has an intelligent charging system it won't even attempt to charge a very low battery, as slamming it with all those alternator amps just knackers it.

Was the battery on the car you were trying to start completely flat? If it was there could be a heavy load across it if wasn't and you were getting enough amps to produce heat you must have reversed polarity.

Peter

Thanks Peter think you have hit the nail on the head! Have had the battery on a slow charge for an hour or so. Have read about reverse polarity in the manual somewhere. You get a reverse flow of polarity when you try and jump start a very dead battery? We are talking a very dead battery that i was trying to jump start! Had a solar power panel plugged into cigar lighter to top up battery, had to move the motor to take in hay and straw for sheep, jump started ok about 3 weeks ago. Motor has been sheltered from the sun since then so no top up at all. Any possibility of damage to alternator?

Bought a new Disco last year and wanted to change several bits over so have not got rid of this one with the battery problem. Need to get to livestock trailer to tow it out and the Disco with the dead battery in parked over the front of the livestock trailer! :cry: Trailer to big to push!

Once there is some charge in the dead battery should be ok to have another go at jump starting?

Just in case you meant did I connect the jump lead to the wrong terminals, neg to pos, it was dark, I did check but only had a head torch so that is possible! :rolleyes:

The solar panels do an excellent job topping up batteries provided there is strong enough light. Only do short journeys.

Many thanks Peter any extra comments to elaborated will be gratefully received! Thank you very much! :D

Sponsored Links
A dead battery will draw quite a high current for a while but not normally enough to cause a lot of heat and the current should drop quite quickly, if it doesn't the chances are its connected the wrong way round, that will cause big sparks and a lot of heat, it will make the leads hot, it can also damage the electronics so its always worth double checking or even treble checking the polarity. Its easily done - I've done it myself :oops:

Peter

Yep! Must have put them on the wrong terminals! :oops: Going fine now, thank you very much! :D

Have a good week end everyone! Was going to power wash but blocked my power washer off behind the bales of straw and hay! :oops: Another fine mess! :LOL:

Back