Junction box cable capacity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Owing to a 'slight accident' while in the loft, I smashed a junction box on the lighting circuit feeding the floor below, so I bought a new one of a well-known brand. This was advertised specifically as a 5A 4-terminal lighting junction box.

The damaged box was rated for 5A and had 4 x 1.0mm cables: feed loop in, feed loop out, switch cable, light-fitting cable. Consequently 3 of the four terminals (L,N,E) each had 3 cable cores, the 4th terminal having just 2 cores. Seems quite normal to me.

Curiously though the new box was labelled for two x 1.5mm cores only. I tried it with 3 x 1.00mm and they did fit enough to get the grub screw to engage, but not very far. I was not happy with the result, so I have replaced it with a larger 20A box instead. Bigger terminals, got the 3 cores in easily, much better grip, so happy with the result.

But....even the 20A box was also marked as two x 1.5mm cores only. What is the point of a 4-terminal box, especially one sold specifically for lighting circuits, if the terminals are sized only for two cores? Or am I misunderstanding something here???

Sponsored Links
It probably differs from make to make, but I have found the so-called 5 amp junction box to be useless, and always use a 20 amp junction box for lighting.

A lot of the spiel about what can be put into a junction box is often rubbish.

That said, JBs do vary a lot depending on the make.

I once bought a cheap unbranded 30 amp junction box (3 terminals) which was usless for what I wanted as the terminals were so tiny. In the end I used it for lighting cables.

Hager junction boxes are usually the best, though some years ago they went through a bad period where the screws just broke the ends of the wires off far too easily. That seems to be resolved now.

It probably differs from make to make, but I have found the so-called 5 amp junction box to be useless, and always use a 20 amp junction box for lighting.

A lot of the spiel about what can be put into a junction box is often rubbish.

That said, JBs do vary a lot depending on the make.

I once bought a cheap unbranded 30 amp junction box (3 terminals) which was usless for what I wanted as the terminals were so tiny. In the end I used it for lighting cables.

Hager junction boxes are usually the best, though some years ago they went through a bad period where the screws just broke the ends of the wires off far too easily. That seems to be resolved now.
I sympathise/empathise with all of that. The Hagar issue took a lot by surprise.

I will say that for a long time I've been thinking JB terminals are smaller than they used to be until I recently did some fault finding in a 1950's house with PVC/PVC cable where 5A JB's had been used for power circuits with 2 or 3 7/0.029" cables. Now I know JB terminals are smaller than they used to be.

Anyone remember the JB's with the SRBP insert with the brass contacts passing through 2 slots?

MK 1131 are the only ones I use for lighting circuits as it is so easy to wire them up logically

Sponsored Links
MK 1131 are the only ones I use for lighting circuits as it is so easy to wire them up logically
TBH I've always found them to be a pita having to run the wires right round the outside. But aren't they discontinued?

ASJ804.JPG

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ804.html

I just use these now.

no still available but they have changed colour, still makes them easier to spot in a loft

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK1131W.html
Ah, OK thanks for that, A little while ago they were spec'd for a job but came up as 'no longer available'. Maybe it was just the brown version. Luckily the work we were doing threw a couple spare so the problem went away.

Still doesn't change the fact I find having to run wires round the box fiddly:unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back