Junction box for thick SWA?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What junction box would you recommend for terminating 2 ends of 10mm SWA? The box will be mounted on the outside of my log cabin with a feed to the shed behind. Needs to be waterproof.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
This will be easier if you mount the boxes inside the buildings.

Inside, you can use an adaptable metal box - these are easy to work with, and strong, so you can easily mount an SWA gland onto them:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Boxes_and_Enclosures_Index/Boxes_Adaptable/index.html

Outside, you need something weatherproof:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LB9065.html
This is plastic - not ideal for terminating SWA, but certainly possible, and has quite a bit of space for terminating the SWA cores.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Conduit_Steel_Index/20mm_Galv_Conduit_and_Fittings/index.html
Here is a selection of metal conduit boxes, onto which you can screw the SWA gland, and have another gland for the normal cable on the other end. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of room to work with the large SWA cores that you have, but they can be used outdoors with a rubber gasket on the lid.

I have to ask, why such a basic question? are you qualified to do this work? are you aware of the legalities of part p?

I would use a gewiss box:

GW44208 - 240 x 190 x 90
GW44616 - steel back plate to suite.

Dinrail, fixed to back plate, 10mm dinrail terminals fitted to dinrail.

You can get brass plates punched with 20mm holes to use either side (or just one side) of the enclosure to strengthen it, and to provide the earth connection. We use a caravan-hookup company to supply us these.

Thanks for the info guys. Would prefer to terminte outside as it will look neater from the inside, and saves drilling too many big holes into my log cabin.

Sorry if it was a basic question. I'm not a leccy just a competent (and careful) DIYer. I reckon I could tackle the job myself but it looks like I'll have to get someone in who is Part P qualified and can do the testing and produce paperwork.

Sponsored Links
get your self a swa jointing kit very cheap very easy and very safe is by far the only safe method of continuing the continuity of all of the conductors in the swa cable

:confused:

Thick swa, he he

guess you have never worked with 240mm swa, needs stillsons to make off the gland

sootys68 said:
get your self a swa jointing kit very cheap very easy and very safe is by far the only safe method of continuing the continuity of all of the conductors in the swa cable

:confused:

Assume you mean a resin type joint? That would be fine for burial, but sounds like he want to join three cables, and branch joints are certainly not as cheap as through joints :confused: I would also prefer to have an accessible joint when you branch where possible.

as others have said a waterproof adaptable should be ok, remember to use CW glands though. a resin joint is another option but using a normal joint kit will require some bodgeing and tee kits aren't exactly cheap.

personally i'd rather have all joints inside, i'd imagine a CU incomer will easilly take 2x10mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back