Junction box mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m having new bathroom fitted so I had to extend few cables which I wanted to do from a junction box. When I finished I realised that the light in the kitchen and hallway downstairs are not working properly and I think it is because I mixed the wires in this junction box. I have four cables going into it each with 2 wires and 1 earth.

First cable coming from downstairs is the feed – red live, black neutral.

Second cable coming from downstairs got red wire switch for the hallway downstairs and black switch for kitchen.

Third cable goes up and feeds all lights in the second and third floor.

Forth wire goes to the lights on the stairs between the ground floor and first floor.

I should say that all lights: kitchen, hallway and stairs have got two switches.

I have tried all sort of combinations but no success. Any idea how should they be linked?

Please help
Glen

Sponsored Links
...forgot to say that if I link feed with cable that goes for lights on the second and third floor, thelights on the second and third floor work fine (just red on red and black on black)

And if i link 'red switch' for the light on the stairs with red that goes on the stair light and black on nutreal from feed cable that works perfect from both switches.

What I struggle with is the 'black switch' for kitchen and hollway. kitchen light got two switches, one at the bottom of the stairs the other at the back door. Hollway got two switches too, one at the bottom of the stairs the other at the entrance to the house.
[code:1]
Upper floors

L N
| |
| |
| |

Stair light L _____ __________ N
N _____ __________ L Feed

| |
| |
| |
Red Black
switch switch
works ok effects kitchen and hollway and
for stair light if linkked flicks with kitchen switch
to stair light L and
stair light N to feed N[/code:1]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back