Junction box question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick debate. I was comparing a couple of junction boxes today; an ashley 20A JB (black) and an M2 17th edition JB 5-30A rated. The terminals on the ashley were slightly bigger than the M2 and are much better quality terminals so how do M2 get away with rating theirs at 30A.

17th ed jb
standard jb

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It's Ashley, again.

They say:

"Complies to IEE wiring regulations which state that terminals shall not be subject to undue stress "

They could say 16th Edition Junction Box too :confused:

Just a quick debate. I was comparing a couple of junction boxes today; an ashley 20A JB (black) and an M2 17th edition JB 5-30A rated. The terminals on the ashley were slightly bigger than the M2 and are much better quality terminals so how do M2 get away with rating theirs at 30A.

Regardless of the size of the terminals, if they are suitable for carrying 30A then they can form part of a 30A junction box, although you may be able to fit fewer cores. Each has their merits - the M2 is superior in some respects in that it actually has cable grips.

It is the cable grips that makes them "17th".

The 17th seminars always touch on this - JB's loose behind downlights for example. A "17th" edition JB should be used.

These were also a requirement of 16th (possibly before). See 522-08-05 and 06 in the 16th. Most of this survives in the 17th (522.8.5 etc).

Quick, where's my anorak?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back