June 2022 Glazing Safety glass regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know which Part of the regulations these changes come under but I'm aware the 2022 regs now stipulate safety glass is used in 'critical locations' e.g. doors and windows within 800mm of the floor. Similarly some changes on ventilation - trickle vents, etc.

I am mid-way through re-building an old detached hot-house as a sort of conservatory/garden room/fancy shed - a new super-structure on top of dwarf brick walls. I haven't yet ordered windows and am not sure if this means I now have to up my spec. The build was already in progress prior to June and is renovating an existing, unheated structure - I don't know if any of these things matter?

I did come across this page discussing exemptions https://www.planningportal.co.uk/ap...ulations/exemptions-from-building-regulations and it seems specifically the "class 6 small detached buildings" might apply here. That would seem to indicate that other than parts P and L (if applicable) I am exempt (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/schedule/2/part/6):

Small detached buildings​

1. A detached single storey building, having a floor area which does not exceed 30m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation and is a building—

(a)no point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage; or

(b)which is constructed substantially of non-combustible material.

2. A detached building designed and intended to shelter people from the effects of nuclear, chemical or conventional weapons, and not used for any other purpose, if—

(a)its floor area does not exceed 30m2; and

(b)the excavation for the building is no closer to any exposed part of another building or structure than a distance equal to the depth of the excavation plus one metre.

3. A detached building, having a floor area which does not exceed 15m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation.
(my emphasis in red)

Does this seem reasonable? My building footprint is almost exactly 5x3m so the floor area would be a trifle under 15m2 (490x285 I think).

Sponsored Links
The use of safety glass would relate to Part K(4), but I'm not aware of any changes to Part K since 2013.

According to the Approved Documents, compliance with part K can be achieved by the provision of safety glass as you've described. This is not new.

The use of safety glass would relate to Part K(4), but I'm not aware of any changes to Part K since 2013.

According to the Approved Documents, compliance with part K can be achieved by the provision of safety glass as you've described. This is not new.
Thanks for that - sorry you are quite right. I was reading a "new regulations" page on a supply website and and misread existing Glazing Safety rules as being part of the June 15th 2022 changes. As you say K4... and apparently also N1.

My reading is that all parts apart from P&L are still exempted in a small detached building <15m2 though?

Yep, that's what it says. And good news, the area relates to the internal floor area.

Note that, ordinarily, and where applicable, you are obliged to satisfy the regulations as they stood at the date of commencement of the works.

Sponsored Links
Yep, that's what it says. And good news, the area relates to the internal floor area.

Note that, ordinarily, and where applicable, you are obliged to satisfy the regulations as they stood at the date of commencement of the works.
That's useful to know. I wonder how many projects 'started' on June 14th this year, on paper at least :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back