Jury Service

Just say that you an ex copper and you know from experience that coppers only arrest those they think are guilty - so you are completely biased. If he wasn't guilty he wouldn't be there.

Sponsored Links
How long you been an ex copper Thermo? You can avoid jury service up to 5 years after leaving the service. I was Civil Staff and managed to avoid it twice and have never been asked since.

I got called up a few years back, looked at the pittance they'll pay as maximum towards loss of earnings and realised it would cost me a lot of money. So I wrote back explaing what I charged a day for labour, a brief outline of overheads and an estimated cost of loss of earnings. I also stated that I could easily loose customers who weren't prepared to wait and so potentially loose even more future earnings.
They excused me with no further query.
I suppose if there's the whole country to choose from, excusing anyone who has a good reason not to do it isn't that tricky.

Tim, i left in 2004, although good old blunkett changed the rules that year so that youre not exempt anymore. To my mind thats bloody ludicrous. I still have contact with many old colleagues, and the chances of coming across them or knowing them at court in the town where i worked must be high. Now i have a fairly open mind, but even so im surely going to be subconciously be putting more weight on their evidence, so how can that be fair to the defendent.

Anyway, i sent an e-mail off last night to the jury service bureau, pointing that out and also the fact not only will i be losing money but ill effectively be paying my trainees to stay at home. Got a reply back this morning excuseing me from jury service. I have to say thats quite organised. Big worry off my mind as March is when we really start getting busy

Sponsored Links
Ya just an ol' drama queen. You knew you'd get off all along. ;)

i know how the courts system works joe, i had visions of sitting around at court for bloody days on end!

Just been called up for jury service. I have to ask myself what is the sense in calling me up as an ex-copper to serve on a jury in my hometown, where i still know a lot of the coppers, and the villans? A i really going to be able to take an impartial and uncynical view on the proceedings?

:rolleyes:

Well I think a lot of people would be surprised by that Thermo..

A Copper that's not impartial?
Surely not.

Just say that you an ex copper and you know from experience that coppers only arrest those they think are guilty - so you are completely biased. If he wasn't guilty he wouldn't be there.

Tell em your inspiration for all things is Joe-90.......................that should do the trick :D

Sponsored Links
Back