A A W

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, I had an accident at work and im off sick for another 2 weeks probably go back to work then, so a total of 5 weeks

ive seen the adds on TV "have you had an A A W phone us nothing to pay etc etc" is it as easy and simple as that ? would my employer take a dim view of it and try to sack me ? Has anyone made a claim and won ?
I dont really want to phone and give too many details if it aint worthwile
but if i can get £20,000........ :D

Sponsored Links
Do you think the accident was your fault?.
That must be the starting point.
Are you still on full pay?
Are you out of pocket?
Will you fully recover?
Plenty of questions to ask yourself.
Anyway what happened?, how badly are you hurt.

Diyisfun said:
Do you think the accident was your fault?.
That must be the starting point.
Are you still on full pay?
Are you out of pocket?
Will you fully recover?
Plenty of questions to ask yourself.
Anyway what happened?, how badly are you hurt.

1.. no, something was badly fitted on a wall and it fell off and hit my thigh/hip

1.. full pay for 6 months

3.. yes im spending more time down the pub :D

4.. yes should be ok but could always string it out a bit :D

we, like the yanks are going 'sue 'em' crazy. it's turning companies and large institutions into over protective nannies. just look at what the councils are doing.

soon everyone will have to wear high visibility jackets and a safety hat just to walk down the street.

they've practically out lawed bonfire night as it is.

Sponsored Links
What exactly do you think you deserve compensating for?

Richardp said:
Trouble is we all have to pay for it.

precisely. it's the same with young male drivers and car insurance. i'm sure the 17, 18, 19yr old chavvy boy racers of today will be chuntering in 20 years time and saying, ' bleedin young drivers pushin prices up'.

it is likely poshman, you too will end up kicking yourself up the a*se.

My girlfriend cut her eye at work, they were great with her,time off, not full pay but some, she was out of pocket and decided to claim, that's when they turned nasty on her, she's an honest loyal worker, never has time off,but they didn't want to know when it came to money being claimed off them, don't know what their problem was, we pay insurance for things like this, don't we ?

some people deserve compensation, and others are happy to take the sick pay for doing nowt and get a handsome payout as a result.

who can blame them.

quite honestly though, proportionally, it's the blood sucking lawyers that end up with the best deal.

poshman said:
hi all, I had an accident at work and im off sick for another 2 weeks probably go back to work then, so a total of 5 weeks

ive seen the adds on TV "have you had an A A W phone us nothing to pay etc etc"
I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!!
Speak to your union convenor, they can usually point you in the correct direction.

would the expression " bite the hand that feeds you" be aporiate?

if i were the employer and you claimed for compensation, i would pay it then sack you

I think it right to claim for say, falling down a hole in the street or a tree fell on you (not literaly) but your employer, no, not unless they said do this, you objected, you were told you must. (but again if i were the employer i would still pay then sack you)

5 weeks off sounds like it was quite a bad injury.

A couple of points:
Did you make an entry in the Accidents book? This is important
1 Maybe your employer is careless and there is a pattern of accidents but they are not being properly reported
2 You will have difficulty making a claim later if not
The accidents book must be accessible to you, it must not be kept locked away and you do don have to ask anyone's permission to make an entry.

Do you have a union? They're not too common these days but can be very useful when you need them

Very important: Don't sign anything saying you waive future rights, except with the advice of a trusted and independent solicitor.

More worrying than a bit of time off work is the possibility that your injury may lead to long term problems or get worse as you get older (I hope not). Take advice on whether you should write a letter to your employer saying you reserve the right to make a claim if that happens. Make sure your doctor or hospital examines your injury and records it.

If your employer is giving you full pay while off this is no more than he should be doing. It is not unknown for employers to sack injured staff to avoid giving them sick pay :cry:

If you had lost a leg through your employer's negligence then you would be entitled to compensation and no-one should criticise you for seeking it (even Breezer above :LOL: ) but none of us here is in a position to say how badly you were hurt and if the employer was at fault.

I have heard that these Claims companies who advertise on TV charge more and are less professional than your friendly local solicitor; but your union or CAB will be better able to advise.

If you "string it out" or pretend to be laid up when you are actually down the pub or playing 5-a-side, then you deserve to be, and probably will be, found out and come away with less than nothing.

poshman said:
Softus said:
What exactly do you think you deserve compensating for?
pain and suffering for starters
Well your attitude is causing me pain and suffering - should I sue you?

You've been paid to do nothing for five weeks, and you want even more money? FFS. :rolleyes:

And you can't find anything more constructive to do with your time than spend it at the pub? Frankly, if I was your employer and discovered that you had that little initiative then I'd be looking to sack you anyway.

My advice is drop the dead donkey. These things happen! Stop whinging. Get over it. Get back to work and for God's sake get yer self a life.

Sponsored Links
Back