apprentices

WelshMan said:
. Not true Agile. The college gives no support in locating an employer for you. I have to get off my ass and do it myself, so far with no luck. Regarding the no hopers part of your quote, while in fairness i do partly agree with you (some of the youngsters are a complete waste of time) thats a pretty wide statement.

Unfortunately, Welshman, you have only read part of what I said! You have also assumed that you are a no hoper.

Whilst your college may not help officially, most tutors already know the good gas engineers in the area and offer them the best new trainees. Our local college have a placement office on the campus whose officers will visit local firms to discuss placements!

The ones left without a placement will include the no hopers who will mostly be unemployed and only on the course to keep their unemployment money. They are obvious in the class, late, yawning, never take any notes and a total waste of time. Its so sad that they are given priority just because they are unemployed.

I had a call earlier this week from what I first thought was a call centre in India. Someone wanting a placement so he could enrol on a gas course. I was trying hard to put him off until he told me he was 51 . Then he said he had an HNC in electronics and I started to wonder if I could help him.

He joined me today and is expected tomorrow! This will be unpaid work experience! That sorts out the men from the boys. There is no way any firm should pay anyone anything until useful commercial work is being done.

My 51 y.o. trainee is very keen but my only problem is that I have got to get him to shave properly. Stuble on Sir Allen may just about be tolerated when he gets out of his AMS 1 Rolls but our trainee on the 52 bus has got to learn how to shave!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I spent lot of time/expense training 3 people.Put them through college paid good wages and good holidays.In all fairness i was a good boss.

What happens, few years down the line they leave to set up on their own.

Result 3 more well trained competitors on my doorstep.

Will NEVER EVER employ anyone again even if he/she was the best thing since sliced bread.

That`s why firms may be reluctatant to invest in taking on more staff.

Paul

:evil: :evil:

up north in bolton nr manchester. bit to far from you to corgiman

doyle said:
up north in bolton nr manchester. bit to far from you to corgiman

eeee bbbyyy guuum thats a way (See I could almost pass for a local me ;) )

shame

Sponsored Links
werewolf said:
I spent lot of time/expense training 3 people.Put them through college paid good wages and good holidays.In all fairness i was a good boss.

What happens, few years down the line they leave to set up on their own.

Result 3 more well trained competitors on my doorstep.

Will NEVER EVER employ anyone again even if he/she was the best thing since sliced bread.

That`s why firms may be reluctatant to invest in taking on more staff.

Paul

:evil: :evil:

Such is life, what happened in your case then? I assume you were an apprentice once too and then started out on your own. If all plumbers had your attitude then plumbing would die out.

yeah but im a london boy corgi, i just have the misfortune of living tup north, and eee by eck its grand tup north, tover thills and over yonder (not)

doyle said:
yeah but im a london boy corgi, i just have the misfortune of living tup north, and eee by eck its grand tup north, tover thills and over yonder (not)

:eek: you left gods country to mix it with the heathens doyle!!!!!!!

Foolish boy

;)

couldnt help it mate i was only 8 when we left Peckham :cry: :cry: :cry:
but hey where would these northern monkey's be if it wasnt for us southerners

Agile point taken m8, will have a word with the tutor on Monday and see how the land lies with regards placements once more. I am 36 , 2nd oldest on the course ( older than our tutor :D ). God i wish i had done this 15yrs ago when i originally wanted to do the course and they told me there wasnt enough ppl wanting to do it.....oh how times have changed :) .

i'm on your boat there Welshman, i tried to get on my college course for three years before finally getting a place. I'm a young 34 year old, second year of level 3, i love it but am seriously wondering how i can get into the trade when people want you to work for free or don't want to / or cant afford to take on a "trainee". I couldn't find a local course years ago.

john90 said:
i'm on your boat there Welshman, i tried to get on my college course for three years before finally getting a place. I'm a young 34 year old, second year of level 3, i love it but am seriously wondering how i can get into the trade when people want you to work for free or don't want to / or cant afford to take on a "trainee". I couldn't find a local course years ago.

2nd year of NVQ3???? Surely not it only runs for a year?

i meant to say i'm in first year of level 3 but yes, we will be back in September for year 2 - we will do three months with the gas dept and also do a design / planning project, this covers all aspects of designing a central heating stystem, heat loss, rad sizing etc..etc.. to waste systems. Probably other stuff too but i won't find out till September.

john90 said:
i meant to say i'm in first year of level 3 but yes, we will be back in September for year 2 - we will do three months with the gas dept and also do a design / planning project, this covers all aspects of designing a central heating stystem, heat loss, rad sizing etc..etc.. to waste systems. Probably other stuff too but i won't find out till September.

I am sorry but i was convinced that NVQ 3 was a one year course oh well

well done in finding someone to see u through BTW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back