1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Apprentice tools

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Steve, 10 Jul 2019.

1. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    One some times wonder what is an electrician, plumber, pipe fitter, or gas fitter? In my early years most cables I used were steel wire armoured, the odd item was single phase, but most were three phase, a plumber was a worker of lead, a pipe fitter main tool was angle grinder and heavy wall 32" pipes take a lot of skill to ensure fits. And the gas pipes I worked with were 42" and snaked across Algeria.

House bashing as we called it was for young men, as speed was everything, and very little skill required, the central heating wiring was likely the most complex he would find.

New and bulk rewire was mainly following a set plan, some times rather annoying where good equipment was thrown into the skip, but it was boring repeat work, but for an apprentice it allowed them to learn the basics rather well, and because it is repeat work, you will quickly work out what is required. And in the first week you will work with a skilled guy, so can use his tools, and then you can get exactly what is required.

40 years ago chisels and hammers were supplied by the firm, there was a case it seems of a splinter of metal flying off and injuring a fellow worker, tool of low quality injuring the owner is one thing, but some one else was a real problem.

2. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    Congratulations and best wishes for the future.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. chivers67

chivers67

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When/ If You're terminating Armour I like CK SWA Armour Slice. Though the Yellow knob often detaches so I have drilled a small hole and pinned it on mine. Along with some small insulated 10mm spanners.
    Some Good 20/25mm Holesaw Drill Bits - These can be used with an impact driver > https://www.screwfix.com/p/armeg-acceler8-sheet-steel-holesaw-set-2-piece-set/264hf

Good Side Cutters - I have CK Combi Cutters for Domestic stuff the ones with 2.5 mm & 1.5 mm https://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-vde-combicutter-3-160mm/31773 They help cut pattress screws to length too
    Long Nose Pliers
    Hellerman Tyton Chomp Cutters for General Cutting of Cable
    A Good pair of Tin Snips
    Some Flush Cutters if you use zip ties.
    A good hammer
    Fingerless gloves.
    I used a CK magma Tote Bag initially but I now have a Veto Pro Pac HVAC Tool Bag very pricey but very well made - one for the future!

Good Luck

5. SimonH2

SimonH2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Shouldn't those be top of the list ...

closely followed by the impact driver for doing up terminals :ROFLMAO:

6. Sponsored Links
  7. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    One some times wonder what is an electrician, plumber, pipe fitter, or gas fitter? In my early years most cables I used were steel wire armoured, the odd item was single phase, but most were three phase, a plumber was a worker of lead, a pipe fitter main tool was angle grinder and heavy wall 32" pipes take a lot of skill to ensure fits. And the gas pipes I worked with were 42" and snaked across Algeria.

House bashing as we called it was for young men, as speed was everything, and very little skill required, the central heating wiring was likely the most complex he would find.

New and bulk rewire was mainly following a set plan, some times rather annoying where good equipment was thrown into the skip, but it was boring repeat work, but for an apprentice it allowed them to learn the basics rather well, and because it is repeat work, you will quickly work out what is required. And in the first week you will work with a skilled guy, so can use his tools, and then you can get exactly what is required.

40 years ago chisels and hammers were supplied by the firm, there was a case it seems of a splinter of metal flying off and injuring a fellow worker, tool of low quality injuring the owner is one thing, but some one else was a real problem.

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local