Tools for College

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My youngest son is doing electrical installation at college. What make of VDE tools are the ones to get that he can use now and in the future when he starts an apprenticeship.

Sponsored Links
I'd say at this point, just about anything other than the really cheap naff unbranded stuff (Normally they are good enough to mark that as such by including a neon screwdriver with it!)

I lersonally like CK, but themost basic line from any of the well known brands, CK, Wera, Wira, Irazola will be fine. I've even got a set of wickes own brand I got on clearance in the garage and they arn't bad.

Don't go over board at this stage, just get reasonble quality at sensible price, don't be taken in too much by hype and brands, there does seem to be a bit of influencer culture working its way into the industry with the guys who put stuff on social media being sent stuff by manufacturers to rave about

He'll probably mis-use them anyway and chip plaster out boxes with best terminal driver or pry floorboards up with them, so don't worry too much

I like ck and wera stuff to. I did see a cheap wickes set at 25 quid down from 38 so I might get that for him, also if I buy the decent stuff it might go missing at college if someone else likes the look of them.

Lidl and Aldi have sets every so often, quite cheap but reasonable quality.

Sponsored Links

With respect, I would not want to use VDE tools from either store.

There is a reason why they are cheap. And it isn't because either firm is trying to ensure that the customer gets the best.

That's obviously a very common attitude, but I fear that long gone are the days when one could rely on price and brand to be good inicators or quality and/or 'value for money'. An expensive product from a reputable manufacturer may be more an indicator of high profits, hence happy shareholders, than anything else!

In the case of VDE tools, I would think that the only crucial issue is the electrical insulation - and I would also think that the properties of the materials concerned (and the considerable degree of 'overkill' in the amount of the materials used) are such that it would be quite a challenge to manufacture tools which were not 'safe' in that respect.

Kind Regards, John

Where I volunteer and also many places I have worked I was not permitted to use my own tools. A number of reasons were given, GEC large steam turbines even calibrated their crimp pliers.

But insurance was often quoted, as @opps says, some tools look good but are not, and a spanner breaking can cause injury.

Collages also normally supply all tools, again so they have control.

I have worked when the tool box was provided and we were told we could keep them at the end of the job, it was so we would look after them better.

.... as @opps says, some tools look good but are not, and a spanner breaking can cause injury.
True, but that's got nothing to do with whether or not it is a "VDE" tool. Opps appeared to be saying specifically that he would not buy cheap "VDE tools" from a source he regarded as suspect.

Kitchen tools which are "not good" can also lead to injuries.

Kind Regards, John

The insulation on any tools be it classed as VDE or not will degrade in time, and at some point they will need renewing, the safety of the apprentice is the responsibility of the firm, and they can hardly tell him I don't like the look of your tools, you need to buy new ones.

So it seems unlikely any apprentice will today be required to buy their own tools, I was not even allowed to use my own fountain pen, although I did, they complained it did not show through the carbon paper, I said yes that's the idea. I only sign what I have read.

There is a reason why they are cheap. And it isn't because either firm is trying to ensure that the customer gets the best.
Big chains, even at the budget end, have got a lot to lose if they sell dangerous products. I wouldn;t expect top quailty products from them but I wouldn't expect dowright dangerous stuff either.

Thanks for all the replies. Will buy the cheap wickes ones for now for college and he can get some better ones later. He also wants a pair of ck auto wire strippers.

He also wants a pair of ck auto wire strippers.
I think it probablly does make sense to buy a name brand on something like auto wire strippers that have a lot more to "go wrong" than simple screwdrivers.

I have regularly worked with someone who buys many Lidl tools.
My observation is basically they are not comfortable to use, the VDE screwdrivers are bulky and the 'soft feel' I find too soft. Also I find the heads aren't as precise as other brands.

My favourites for screwdrivers for a very long time was Stanley until they 'improved' them. Since then Wiha for at least 15 years, If I can't get it in Wiha it'll most likely be Wera or CK depending on what it is then Stanly FatMax for some items (such as 300mm screwdrivers).

My very first set of VDE screwdrivers (I had to get a set to be inspected prior to starting a job cutting and installing Unistrut :( ) were from Maplins, they were so crap they are still in pristine condition some 30 years later

I have been using the Aldi VDE screwdriver set for the past 5 years and they work and last perfectly well.
They have the appropriate certification and meet the appropriate approvals.
I use them daily and they have outlasted more expensive screwdrivers.

However they are currently not in store otherwise would be a good set for an apprentice, by the way they will not be allowed to work live to VDE is not really required. Also as an apprentice they will have to put up with the jest of others, my apprentice has had all his tools painted pink by the others. They also leave them around, do not take care of their tools and lend them out and never see them again.
So I wold not invest in expensive tools for an apprentiship.

Sonic70, have a look at screwfix, they have some Magnusson sets of pliers etc. that are low priced but the tools are good.

Thanks for all the replies, it has been good to follow the discussion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back