Tools for College

My local B&M, I have stopped going to. There will, for example, be a 3L bottle of coke on the shelf, the end cap price will display the price of a 2L bottle.

I resorted to using my phone to find the correct price. I did email head office about the misleading prices. They didn't give a toss. You mention it to the staff, they don't give a toss either. Sorry, I have not intentionally hijacked your post, but in my opinion, the retailer should be upfront and honest. If you have end cap prices above (or below) a product, use arrows to let the customer know what thy are looking at.
I think as long as the store is consistant there shouldn't be a problem and in the pic I posted there is no question of deception. On the 2 occasions when there has been a difference between marked price and till price they have always honoured marked price, apologised and created a new sign to correct what is presumably a head office error.

Not hijacked my post, this has come a long way from advising tools for a newbie.

Sponsored Links
This is the Aldi set with one from my toolbox alongside it to show the handle.
I actually have several sets of these, I keep a set in the car etc.

The main one that I have had to replace is the 5mm flat blade, that has sometimes broken when using it on those stupid 1/2 flat & 1/2 pozi type screw heads, they tend to kill flat bladed drivers no matter what make.
I have lost my original terminal driver, pity it was a little wider than the current version.

Upto 1kv? heck as I would never use a screwdriver on anything live at 1kv I would never test this, nor would I use my daily working set on live terminals anyway, I use all steel handle uninsulated ones for that - otherwise your not a real man :) :)

1676923316870.png

This is the Aldi set with one from my toolbox alongside it to show the handle.
I actually have several sets of these, I keep a set in the car etc.

The main one that I have had to replace is the 5mm flat blade, that has sometimes broken when using it on those stupid 1/2 flat & 1/2 pozi type screw heads, they tend to kill flat bladed drivers no matter what make.
I have lost my original terminal driver, pity it was a little wider than the current version.

Upto 1kv? heck as I would never use a screwdriver on anything live at 1kv I would never test this, nor would I use my daily working set on live terminals anyway, I use all steel handle uninsulated ones for that - otherwise your not a real man :) :)

View attachment 296379
How do you get on with those handles?
Years ago we used to get a No.2 Posi in a frame kit we used to buy, with a similar shape handle. I could not get used to it, something similar with a MCB driver I was given for the same reason.

Sponsored Links
Upto 1kv? heck as I would never use a screwdriver on anything live at 1kv
Every insulated tool I've ever seen on the market is rated to 1kv, I presume there is little money to be saved by rating them lower and that going higher takes you into a different world of regulation.

Halfords do an elec screwdriver set with a lifetime guarantee
https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand...iver-set-250522.html?stockInventory=undefined
dont know if its VDE but does say up to 1000V...
With no mention of third party certification, no mention of what standard it was certified to, and no mention of who the real manufacturer is I think i'll pass.

How do you get on with those handles?
Years ago we used to get a No.2 Posi in a frame kit we used to buy, with a similar shape handle. I could not get used to it, something similar with a MCB driver I was given for the same reason.
I get on perfectly well.

With no mention of third party certification, no mention of what standard it was certified to, and no mention of who the real manufacturer is I think i'll pass.
I think we've been through this before but, although I would not describe myself as being particularly 'risk taking', I have to say that my intuitive view is that there is (presumably) so much insulating material between the conductive shaft of the screwdriver and my hand that (unless the handle were visibly mechanically damaged) I would be pretty comfortable using it, regardless of who had manufactured or (if) 'certified' it - not to mention the fact that if (pretty unusually) I were using it 'live', I'd probably be wearing an insulating glove, anyway.

Kind Regards, John

I dunno about you, but I would say I hold screwdrivers by the shaft as much as by the handle. You can spin them much faster that way.

It's probablly OK, but when nearly everywhere is selling tools with third party certification to a particular standard, and Halfords are selling mystery tools for around the same price, I wouldn't choose the Halfords ones. Even if they come with a "lifetime guarantee".

I dunno about you, but I would say I hold screwdrivers by the shaft as much as by the handle. You can spin them much faster that way.
In some situations I might do that but rarely, if ever, in relation to anything electrical, and most certainly never if I thought that there was even a remote chance (let alone a certainty!) that the tip of the screwdriver was going to be in contact with anything 'electricall;y live'. At least as far as I am concerned, common sense is far more important than the quality of the tools.
It's probablly OK, but when nearly everywhere is selling tools with third party certification to a particular standard, and Halfords are selling mystery tools for around the same price, I wouldn't choose the Halfords ones. Even if they come with a "lifetime guarantee".
I would never criticise anyone for being cautious, even when they are being a lot more cautious than I would probably be, but there seem to be inconsistencies here - since, as above, I would personally regard it as 'inadequately cautious' to hold a screwdriver by its shaft when I thought or knew that its tip might be in contact with something 'electrically live', no matter how expensive, how reputable the manufacturer or how many certifications it had! My view would be that the tick/fat insulation on the handle was there for a reason!

I have to say that, given that Halfords is relatively 'reputable' and that, as you say, they are "about the same price" (as ones which were explicitly 'VDE certified'), it wouldn't surprise me at all if the only problem is that the listing on the Halfords website failed to mention VDE certification - after all, if Lidl can sell 8 VDE drivers for £4.99, one might expect that the 5 for £12.50 from Halfords would probably be 'VDE certified' (or some equivalent).

Kind Regards, John

Get him a couple of blunt woodworking chisels, a blunt handsaw with some missing teeth and a big pry bar (also blunt). Also a box of odd-sized, previously used screws with damaged slots - a good mixture of Phillips and Pozi head with the occasional slotted head brass screw, while you are at it. At least then he can remove and replace floorboards to the same standard as every other electrician (and plumber) I have to go round after sorting things out for... :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
, I wouldn't choose the Halfords ones. Even if they come with a "lifetime guarantee".
Which begs the question what a lifetime guarantee is. The lifetime of the user, which could be pretty short especially if said screwdrivers failed and fried? Or the lifetime of the tool, again a self limiting, self serving guarantee. Or more likely subject to a limited warranty definition buried somewhere in the t’s and c’s.

Blup

Still better than the "famous 5-50 guarantee" I was given with my first car...

...basically, if it was still running 5 minutes or 50 yards after you left the premises, don't bring it back!

Erm.. it says £2.99- are you on commission?

;)
1677237738954.jpeg

Just see the sign at top of pic for rubber hammers at £5.99 and duct tape below at £2.99.

And of course the one I was trying to show is verging on unreadable due to reflection.

just to add to this thread, Lidl from today are doing there 1000V screwdrivers but individually so pick and choose sizes to suit. ideal if like matty you have chewed up a particular size and only need to replace that one and not the whole set

and

just to add to this thread, Lidl from today are doing there 1000V screwdrivers but individually so pick and choose sizes to suit. ideal if like matty you have chewed up a particular size and only need to replace that one and not the whole set

and
Just got back from Lidl myself and was about to mention the same thing.:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back