the apprentice ( at work )... You're fired..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bosses had the 'prentice in the office this afternoon and told him next week is his last with us..
what's he got to do now about his college and NVQ etc..
do the apprenticeship people have to find him another placement or is it just off to the dole center with him?

as they've already paid for his college this year he might as well finish it hadn't he?
surely they can't kick him off it and the apprenticeship scheme can't get a refund from the college can they?

Sponsored Links
Is he being fired or made redundant?
Not sure but if its redundancy I think they are supposed to find somewhere else for him to finish his training. They have entered into a contract with him to train him to be whatever it is he's training for and if they just release him for lack of work reasons they should find an alternative trainer for him.
If he is being sacked for say, gross misconduct, they are under no obligations as it is him who has broken his side of the contract.

I don't know how the modern apprenticeships work, but last job I had, management had a round of redundancies and the apprentice was the first to go. I told my manager, the selection procedure was flawed at best.
Out of all the people made redundant he was the one that cost the company the least, in wages whilst he was at work and yet he turned out just as much work , to the same standard as everyone else.
The excuse for getting rid of him was that, "He'd been late 3 times in a year!"

There were others who kept their jobs who'd had more than 2 or 3 weeks off in 6 months. " Ahh, but they were ill." came the reply.
Can't believe such shortsightedness by people who call themselves " The Management."

Fortunately the lad got another position straight away and could continue his apprenticeship.

Years ago (1990) a place I worked at closed down and the electrical apprentice was in his final year. The company had a duty to ensure that he completed his apprenticeship, to the extent, they had to pay another company to ensure he did finish his time, and pay his wages until he qualified.

Yep, happened to me personally when I was an appo.
2 weeks into working with another employer the senior manager came to see me. Said there had been an 'oversight' and did I want my job back without break of service. Too right I did! New boss had me sweeping up/making tea and general dogsbody and I was in my third year!
Current day 'managers', and I use the term loosely, just haven't got a clue. Straight out of uni and into a position that used to be earned by working your way up from the shop floor learning every little naunce of a trade over many years.

Sponsored Links
Yep, happened to me personally when I was an appo.
2 weeks into working with another employer the senior manager came to see me. Said there had been an 'oversight' and did I want my job back without break of service. Too right I did! New boss had me sweeping up/making tea and general dogsbody and I was in my third year!
Current day 'managers', and I use the term loosely, just haven't got a clue. Straight out of uni and into a position that used to be earned by working your way up from the shop floor learning every little naunce of a trade over many years.
Yes been there seen that, straight from uni, and think they know everything.
Educated idiots we called them, absolutely clueless, trying to impose ideas that were tried and abandoned years ago.

Wotan

To protect his identity, (though heaven knows why), lets just say that a manager I deal with had a notion the other day. Heaven forbid it gets implemented! I am currently based on a clients premises, now the original guy doing my present job spent a long time cataloguing and tagging every piece of the clients equpment. Unfortunately our computer system doesn't 'fully' intergrate with the clients system. so at a meeting the other day I suggested a way of 'marrying' certain aspects of both systems, which, though it may take a while to implement would eventually be very cost effecive for both parties.
Manager. "No, its too expensive, lets scrap our system and use theirs in line with ours."
Me. "Our system isn't compatible."
Manager. "We'll scrap ours and install theirs."
Me. "At what cost?"
Manager. " How should I know?"
Me. "My idea would eventually reduce costs so much it would almost pay for itself over a small number of years."
Manager. "But it involves a lot of effort."
Me. "And yours doesn't? What about the cost of re-training personnel, the cost of re-recording everything on to the new system, the cost already incurred by **** setting the system up originally? Not including the cost of initial installation."
Manager. "Erm, well, Errh, would you be agreeable to paying some of the costs? (to the client).
Client. "To T*****s system? Probably but we would need to discuss further. To your idea? Not a chance, our system is in place and it works for us."
This is what I have to deal with on a daily basis.

Back