apprentices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive only been up and running 3-4 weeks but i could surely use a 2nd pair of hands, BUT im wary in case i cant pay them if im quiet.

i know a young lad through a mutual friend who is 2 yrs into an apprenticeship but hes getting laid off as his employer now has to pay the 80 quid a week for him as hes into hes last 2yrs :!:

one of my biggest bug bears in life is the skilled men not doing there jobs usually through no fault of there own,, ie get laid off at end of there apprenticeships and maybe aint got the balls to go alone on site etc. now i'd be mortified if i had to train some one then lay em off..

my :?: is how do i go about getting an apprentice contact local colleges etc :?:

any help reqd lads n lasses i live in the north east

Sponsored Links
I had an apprentice for around 7 months and I am only a one man band. NEVER again! He was keen and good but ridiculously clumsy and forgetful and the paperwork and legislation was just not worth it. I would never go down this route again. I firmly believe that a 'one man band' cannot afford an apprentice. You need realistically 3 or 4 trained people working for you before you can 'lose' his wages.

Your decision though :rolleyes:

Dave was just unlucky!

Just like all workers they need to be selected carefully!

Unfortunately, the system is such that all those good ones are already placed and the colleges just have the no-hopers left. You dont get much if any choice from the colleges.

Its better to get friendly with a tutor! Thats how the good ones are placed! The tutors want good placements for their good students.

I am not confident that you are skilled enough to train a good apprentice properly if you dont have at least three years work experience yourself.

An apprentice is NOT a free extra pair of hands but a young person in training !

You might be better with a Polish plumber as they will be somewhat skilled and cheap as well and you tell them to go away when you dont need them.

Tony

I agree with dave, more trouble than they are worth

I will never again do it

Sponsored Links
As a student comming up to the end of my first year i find the comments disheartining tbh. I have worked damn hard this year in keeping a job going, doing the course and studying for the exams in an effort to improve our future.

Unfortunately, the system is such that all those good ones are already placed and the colleges just have the no-hopers left. You dont get much if any choice from the colleges.

Not true Agile. The college gives no support in locating an employer for you. I have to get off my ass and do it myself, so far with no luck. Regarding the no hopers part of your quote, while in fairness i do partly agree with you (some of the youngsters are a complete waste of time) thats a pretty wide statement. I for one have topped all the theory exams in my class, my practical work is bang upto date with the bathroom installation my only practical work left please dont label all of us trainee's with the same brush.

Reagrding wages...whats the current broad wage you pay a trainee?. I for one was willing to prove myself before the mention of wages. If i was crap fine the plumber has lost nothing, if i was good , great i may get an apprenticeship.

On another note, if any plumber in the South wales valleys wants/requires any help then i am more than willing to prove my reliablity and worth.

We have two apprentices and they do, in general, an excellent job.

You know who is good when the Corgi guys fight over them every morning.

We have had some useless types who have had little practical skill, and they have to be quickly shown the door, for the sake of both parties. But I have found nothing wrong with our youth, they are trustworthy and concientuous.

I think the problem has been pushy parents believing all the balony in the media about earnings and encouraging unsuitable offspring into a practical trade, when their true abilities may lie elsewhere.

WelshMan said:
As a student comming up to the end of my first year i find the comments disheartining tbh

Not meant to dishearten anyone, in fact if you're are good hard worker then I'm sureyou will find a placement.

My comment was just stating that I do not think a one man band can afford an apperntice. Most larger firms have training places etc I believe.

i was approcahed by a youngun yesterday 3rd yr apprentice needs to work with some one to complete his gas portfolio i may give him a few days here and there when busy and pay him cash in hand :eek:

Please dont get me wrong with my early posts chaps

I love Apprentices.................

Just could not eat a whole one :)

corgiman said:
Please dont get me wrong with my early posts chaps

I love Apprentices.................

Just could not eat a whole one :)[/quote

some of them birds on alan sugars programme thingy aint bad like :LOL:

I am trying so hard to instill a sense of pride in his work to mine, but workmanship isn't a modern expression least of all to a 17 year old skater.

This morning we were fitting a water heater for a Chinease Restaurante. The place was a mess and all other plumbing work was a total shambles. My apprentice was saying "why don't we just do it in plastic any old how, the rest of the plumbing is like that". I said "because it is bad for us to get into the habit of not doing it neatly. Evrything we do must be to a professional standard". I don't think my logic made the slightest impression on him, but at least he has been told yet again that what is most important to me is that things look professional and are right. People are paying a professional to do the job, they expect it to look professional.

Why do I find myself saying this vertually every day?

yeah and i wsh i wasnt so damn far from you paul and to skint to get there.

i think its the same with all modern apprenticeships, lads just give a damn anymore, they just big money for the pop every week end

doyle said:
yeah and i wsh i wasnt so damn far from you paul and to skint to get there.

i think its the same with all modern apprenticeships, lads just give a damn anymore, they just big money for the pop every week end

where are you doyle?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back