Just bought a Multimeter - Any good guides online?

In that case, IMO a multimeter is needlessly complex. You have the opportunity to plug the leads into the wrong sockets, or to set the wrong range. You may be using it when perched on a ladder, with the lights out.

A DIYer may not use his meter from one year's end to the next.

Sponsored Links
Or a DIYr could use his meter often, a DIYr could even use his/her meter set on the correct ranges every time and a multimeter could be an ideal tool for the DIYr to use for most electrical work.

A multi meter can be used to measure down to millivolts and up to 1/2kv+ - the range that you would expect to find in a domestic property.

As long as the battery is checked & replaced regularly a multimeter is an excellent addition to a DIY toolkit.

To the OP, I'm sure that even those that are commenting against a multimeter have one of their own.

Bring back the avo 8 :D :D

Sponsored Links
Haha is really, just buy one of those flukes (or similar) and you cannot really go wrong. Very simple to use and as far as im aware its idiot proof lol! Just seen them on ebay for £30 quid

Oh for heaven's sake! :LOL:

OK so you're a DIYer doing a bit of electrical work. Of course you know whether or not it's notifiable work and will be notifying if necessary. You'll turn off the circuit at the MCB or even knock off the whole house with the CU main switch. Naturally you'll check the light fitting/socket concerned is dead by plugging something that works into the socket/trying to operate the light. You're pretty sure everything's good so you'll whip off the cover, but before you start prodding terminals with a screwdriver, you'd just like that little extra level of safety of confirming there's no 240V present with a measuring instrument. You've bought a basic hobby multimeter for that purpose. That about right? Good for you! I'd do the same!

Dead simple really. Referring to the instructions that came with it, you'll make damn sure your multimeter is working, the battery is good, the probes are connected correctly for measuring voltage, and the mode/range dial (if it has one) is also set correctly for measuring 240V ac. Then it's just a matter of using the probes (you'll only hold the plastic bits, right?) to measure voltages between any lives present and neutral. Hell - measure between everything for completeness. If you get a load of 0s you've confirmed what you already knew - it's off. If you get anything else, it's not off, or something else is happening - don't prod terminals with a screwdriver and do seek further advice.

There - hope that helps! Wasn't too hard, was it everyone? :) Oh and it goes without saying - I accept no liability for anything whatsoever.

Liam

Wooooaaaaaaaah electricity and work regulations!
if its a place of work then yes. i thought we were still talking DIY?

A multimeter is handy as you can do a number of basic checks with the power off (eg checking rings are rings and switch circuits are switch circuits), but yes a multimeter is only good if the user is confident and experiences in using it and also aware of its limitations compared to equipment that an electrician would use. a multimeter has been recommended probably more times than a neon screwdriver has been slagged off on this site.

OK, so multimeters should be banished to the same bin as the neon screwdrivers...

What should people use (diy or professional)?

This is the good one, what does everyone have in their van/toolbox (and how do you prove its accuracy)?

I am an electrical engineer, mainly worked in industrial environments, I now work on cnc metal profiling machines, I have a Fluke multimeter, what should I buy now that I should bin the Fluke?

Nick.

OK, so multimeters should be banished to the same bin as the neon screwdrivers...
IMO there is nothing wrong with multimeters per-se, I do think the unfused 10A range on many multimeters is rather dodgy though and DMMs aren't ideal for testing for dead.

Ideally you should probablly have two sets of test leads, one with GS38 probes for mains voltage work and a normal set for ELV work.

What should people use (diy or professional)?
That depends on what they are trying to do.

For troubleshooing work clamp meters are good for electricans because they make it easy to measure high currents and eliminate the risk of trying to do a voltage measurement with a meter setup for current. OTOH and electronics guy who needs to measure small DC currents would be better off with a conventional multimeter.

For checking for dead a simple indicator is preffered as there is less chance of getting wrong results due to wrong setup etc.

For checking for dead a simple indicator is preffered ....
I suppose a small light, maybe a neon, and a very large series resistor would be suitable. It could be combined with a simple tool, maybe a spanner or something.

A very interesting but somewhat mysterious thread! What does the average DIY fella need to safely tell if there is current in a wire - or not?

About all I do electrically, for instance, is to replace a broken wall socket or a failing light bulb holder. I don't need much more than that - and I always turn off the mcb involved first. (I'm ashamed to say that I do have a neon screwdriver).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back