Just bought a Multimeter - Any good guides online?

A very interesting but somewhat mysterious thread! What does the average DIY fella need to safely tell if there is current in a wire - or not?

About all I do electrically, for instance, is to replace a broken wall socket or a failing light bulb holder. I don't need much more than that - and I always turn off the mcb involved first. (I'm ashamed to say that I do have a neon screwdriver).

The technically correct advice is you should never use a multimeter for testing for dead.
The correct tool for the job is as JohnD pointed to on the previous page, a voltage indicator.
The documentation issued by the HSE (GS-38) requires these to be proved before and after use.
This can be done on say another circuit which is still live, or a proving unit which is something I doubt a DIYer would want to buy.

Sponsored Links
I've just found that the search engine 'Twenga' lists about a dozen voltage testers from the cheapos to the other end. I'll get myself a reasonably priced one, one grade up from the neon screwdriver.

Thank you Spark123 for your reply.

If checking that the live wire is indeed NOT live measure live to neutral AND live to earth. If the fault has made the neutral open circuit ( or worse connected to live ) the meter will show zero when the live is still live.

And bin neon screwdrivers. They are NOT safe as they can show dead when the wire is live.

Thank you Bernardgreen. I wouldn't have realised that. And I will chuck my neon driver.

Best wishes,

Sponsored Links
If checking that the live wire is indeed NOT live measure live to neutral AND live to earth. If the fault has made the neutral open circuit ( or worse connected to live ) the meter will show zero when the live is still live.

ooooOOOOoooo :eek: I didn't know that.... :oops:

handy tip - thank you... :confused:

What about one of these CLICK then, a step up from NEON I know, but cheap and worth having.
You can also get one of these for under 30 quid... Worth having if your into poking about a bit.

By gum, this can go on, can't it! I'm grateful to you all for taking the time to reply so well.

I don't mind shelling out for the Fluke T50 if it's what I need. It seems to have the proper optical and audible indication, as described by holmslaw - my only question is over how difficult it will be to master. I don't want to have to read complicated instructions every time I pick it up as I'd only do this about 3 times a year.

It's only safety I'd be testing.

Avoid the non-contact type volt alert pens, they are OK for testing mains fairy lights at xmas and finding the odd break in a flex, but should never be used for testing for dead.
I can see your point re the voltage tester, can you not get the right angle for it? The one I have bleeps for continuity but not for voltage detection, I don't do a lot of outdoor work anyway.
I have been bitten by shared neutrals too changing light fittings - not a nice experience when it tests dead, then you separate out the neutrals!
One thing that sticks in the back of my mind too, we have been told never to work off a ladder - they are for access only. This was told to me by the man who fell off, shattered his hip and the insurers tried every way to get out of paying out compensation.

I looked at the link for the T50, nice tester & a good price.

When i finally get around to upgrading from my multimeter (which i use several times a day & know like the back of my hand) I would like to have a tester with a clamp. Price is less of an issue as i do sometimes need to check live cables at work / on site / in customers homes etc..

I'd really like to be able to test for a voltage in cable runs which i haven't yet found the end for or don't feel like touching :)

can anyone recommend one which they use & find good at what it does. i know that may sound daft, but i have some tools which i just dont like and others which i honestly couldn't live without :)

sometimes the best recommendations .....

A very interesting but somewhat mysterious thread! What does the average DIY fella need to safely tell if there is current in a wire - or not?
Unless you wired or throuroughly inspected and mapped an installation yourself and noone has touched it since you cannot trust that the people before you didn't do something stupid or unusual.

I'd advise against buying a voltage tester with a clamp ammeter as these are heading back to a multi purpose tester as opposed to a voltage indicator.
I'm not saying it isn't worth having a clamp ammeter - just imo better to have a separate instrument.
Personally I'd try to avoid non-contact testers as proof of a cable being dead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back