Just checking Roomstat receiver wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to add a room stat to my CH system. The manual for the boiler shows the connection to the receiver as shown below
20161217_125745.jpg

and that for the receiver is shown below
20161217_125816.jpg

The receiver instructions also state that a 3A fused spur should be used to supply the receiver with L and N....so do I run 3C+E cable from the boiler's connection to a 3A FCU and then to the reciever? :) Sounds too easy

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The boiler's mains power should already be taken from a suitably fused outlet so take Live and Neutral from the boiler terminals LS and NS to the receiver. Then if you connect the short wire link (shown dotted) in the receiver you only need a single wire connecting the receiver terminal 4 to the boiler LR.
Don't forget to remove the link in the boiler between Ls and LR.

Thank you very much.

The receiver says it does not require an earth. Is it acceptable practise to use the bare copper earth wire in a twin and Earth cable as the switched live, provided its sheathed in brown ?

Last edited:
It's fairly common practice to do just that, provided it's clearly sleeved at both ends so it's obvious it's no longer being used as an earth.

Sponsored Links
It may be common practice but I can't believe anyone is giving this advice. The bare copper wire is not even insulated.

It may be common practice but I can't believe anyone is giving this advice. The bare copper wire is not even insulated.
You are quite correct and it wasn't what I intended. I was thinking more of 3 core flex with green/yellow earth when I posted and somehow missed the reference to bare wire. Twin and earth is definitely not recommended for this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back