Just Found My Floor...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Really pushing for some help here - pulled back my carpet the other day and found a really nice herring-bone pattern wooden floor underneath it! Anyway, I've scrapped the old carpet now and am living with the lovely feel of wooden tiles, but there is a problem I have...

Some of the tiles (mainly where a fireplace once was) are either water-damaged or have been removed entirely...the thing is, I don't know what sort of wood the tiles are or what 'standard measurement' they conform to [I'm guessing they're imperial, as they've probably been there for a god while...].

I've attached pictures of the tiles for your view (sorry about the dirt on it - I'm redecorating and it has years of grime on...[is the wood cherry?]), and the rough measurements I've just taken give 3"x12" - does this sound about right? Also - any tips for a strategy on clearing away what could be 50 years of carpet-underlay grime and giving it a nice waxed finish?

Thanks - all help very much appreciated!

***I wasn't sure how to upload, so I sent it to 'yousendit' - I hope that this is okay...if I've not done the right thing then please advise me on how to change it...

Link:
[url]http://download.yousendit.com/7BA9F59E1F442AF8 [/url]

Sponsored Links
It's really hard to tell from that picture what wood-type that is I'm afraid. Could be anything, from pine - oak (both stained) to cherry, to Rhodesian teak.
Take exact measurements in mm or cm, helps better to source new - bespoke - blocks. Thickness would be a great help too

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back