Just had new boiler fitted - Flow and Return swapped :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have just had a new boiler fitted today. The plumber has swapped over the Flow and Return which means all the TRV valves are now fitted on the return. Is this going to be an issue? Should i call him back to correct?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Will depend on the trvs and also some rads need to be a certain way round, why did he do it?

If all of your rads get hot, then they are all Bi directional and there shouldn't be a problem.

I take it, it was a combi for combi change

Sponsored Links
Look closely at the radiator valves...the main body part. Older valves have a single arrow head for the flow direction. They will not work if plumbed in backwards...as the TRV reaches temperature the valve will close down and often make a terrible noise...a bit like a hammer drill.

An open vented system was removed (think it was powered by a combi) and a combi put in place so quite a lot of pipework changes.

I have checked the old TRVs and they have two arrows. They also are all working and no hammering noise.

So it should be ok then? The only thing is, in my old house if the room was too hot for a particular time i used to turn the TRV down as a temporary measure. Can this still be done? In my mind the radiators will still have good flow of water getting to them, and turning the trv down will only stop the hotter water from going down the return??!

I have checked the old TRVs and they have two arrows. They also are all working and no hammering noise.

So it should be ok then?
Yes

The only thing is, in my old house if the room was too hot for a particular time i used to turn the TRV down as a temporary measure. Can this still be done?
Yes. Are you one of those who keeps the TRV on Max all the time and only turns it down when the room gets too hot?

In my mind the radiators will still have good flow of water getting to them, and turning the trv down will only stop the hotter water from going down the return??!
If you have bi-directional TRVs it doesn't matter which end the TRV is fitted. You used to have them on the flow; now they are on the return. They will still control the flow of water through the rad.

ye but balancing a system with the trvs on the return is going to be a pain

Surely closing a hole on one side has the same affect on the water as closing the hole on the other as far as balancing goes.

The FAQ doesn't mention anything specific re trvs on a specific side.

Cant see what difference what side the lockshield valve is on as regarding balancing of the system, your only restricting flow through the rad to balance the flow to the other rads.

As regards to balancing it makes no difference to which end the TRV is fitted. Manufacturers prefer a particular configuration purely for better temperature sensing.

As regards to balancing it makes no difference to which end the TRV is fitted. Manufacturers prefer a particular configuration purely for better temperature sensing.

sorry gasguru didnt realise it was you who said why or i wouldnt of mentioned faq ,also i presumed faq would mention balancing to the op :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back