just thinking of starting my own small business...

Couple of years ago got a quote to manufacture double gates-2400 x 1600 gap, from local builders merchants. Over £800 :eek:
Bought the wood from B&Q, hardware from local merchant,and built in the price of an electric wood planer from Macro, and made them myself
The whole lot under £100.

Ok not immaculate. But with a little bit practice maybe I could go into business ;)
And my name is Bill :LOL:
View media item 26213 View media item 26214

Sponsored Links
Ledge and brace :?: don`t be shy show us your ledges ;)

Sponsored Links
And with that size I would definitely put a centre bar in to accommodate a third hinge.
Otherwise, a nice set. ;)

Ah-Ha. now I see. The diagonal in compression from the outer edge of the top horizontal, down to the hinge to stop the gate dropping. Just goes to show a job well researched is better than a job rushed into.
I guess I was applying engineering principals to wood work.
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:77&biw=1152&bih=709
Wood is better under compression than tension.
If only Nige had'nt preasurised me to show :mad:
However to save face, and with a bit of squirming, I have , as is my custom, persuaded the wife that it is her duty to accept full responsibillity
for this error. In mitigation she points out that the gates have been up at least 4 years without any problem. Therefore it would be unfair of me to force her to put them right, and I conceded this point to her, with the proviso that she takes more care in future ;)

The gate frames are jointed, glued and screwed. The inside of the frames are rebated to take the tounge and groove verticals which are also glued and screwed, as are the diagonals.

After at least 4 years. occaisionally with my 6'2" son climbing over them, when he can't get in the front door, they have not budged. So they will remain there as a testament to the folly of man's unneccessary haste and lack of research.And a reminder to the wife to be more careful in future

I thank youall.Except Nige :LOL:

Brilliant snugib. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

As to the gates, they look and obviously are, absolutely fine. In fact I like your approach to the 'mechanics' of building them.

Sponsored Links
Back