I'm thinking of starting another business.

B

Bodd

I'm thinking of starting a fruit and veg delivery business.

I like to ask on hear your thoughts as we are all into different things across the country. It's not just with what's going on now, I've been loosely thinking of this for a while.

Whats your thoughts, what do you think.

Sponsored Links
Probably the right thing to do at the moment, delivering stuff. Pulling up like the ice-cream van and waiting for people to come out probably won’t be successful. Might do better selling pre-ordered mixed boxes of fruit/veg. Don’t forget to factor in long hours though - initial startup costs, advertising, picking up stuff from the markets early mornings, fuel, delivery vehicle costs....

Great idea. We bought some prepared curries off a vendor type supplier and they are booked solid (you have to book a week in advance). Really good stuff. I was impressed. Think 'Digbeth Dining Club' and you'll know the type of vendor. I mean.

We also are getting meat, eggs and sundries from a Walsall butcher. The reason being is that they live on the same road as us and drop our delivery off when we need it. We had a stunning beef roast last Sunday. I'm also collecting a dozen eggs every week from a lady that offered to give them away and we leave her an envelop and the empties in her post box.

Great idea!

Have a look at your local competition, see if you can think of a different selling point than the others and have a look at costs & need. Have a look at the demographic who buy these boxes near you. Do the people local have the money to pay out for delivery of boxes or would they stick to the local supermarket etc? I know myself for example, prefer to chose my own fruit and veg in a shop but others may not mind that so much. It may be more fruitful (sorry for the pun) to cater to the catering industry?

It will be hard work though, long days (esp at the beginning) and weigh up if it will earn you as much or hopefully more than you do as a plumber.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. All 3 of you for such positive encouraging replys. I know there's alot of competition out there so I was expecting a few don't bothers.

I'm looking at local only and being able to offer the personal touch will go along way I think..

I have my supplier and I think a team to do me a website. Don't do Facebook but Mrs Bod does.

The if is could I work from out of my car to start with.
Then would bite the bullet and get a new van.
I couldn't use my plumbing van.

If you are using your car to deliver make sure you have business insurance on the CAR as well as the van.

We also are getting meat, eggs and sundries from a Walsall butcher.
Just polished off a butchers chicken. Not bad. However Aldi trumps it for texture and taste but it is a good second. The butchers beef however is in a different league.

Anyone with an empty van at present can earn a few quid.

If you are using your car to deliver make sure you have business insurance on the CAR as well as the van.

I had a mate who used his car to do jobbing electrical work. Pulled by the police and got done for wrong insurance. Not once but twice. I doubt if even now he has the right insurance.

Thanks Conny. I will do that.

What

Jack. In plumbing and do this fruit and veg full time?

Or as well as?

What

Or as well as?

At the moment it's an idea.
If I go for it then I'd like it to replace plumbing.
If successful it would be hard juggling the two. I'm sure it will be less greif All be it I do still enjoy my job.

I had a mate who used his car to do jobbing electrical work. Pulled by the police and got done for wrong insurance. Not once but twice. I doubt if even now he has the right insurance.

Thanks Conny. I will do that.
I sometimes take my students in my car to a local off-road driving centre or to other 'educational' type places. I sometimes pick up other cars to take to work and I also used to visit students in my satellite centre on my scooter so I made sure I had business use on my vehicles in case I had any incidents on the way (it was also compulsory if I was carrying students around). I think I put down that I did less than 500 business miles per year and I don’t think it added more than £30 to the two policies combined although I think it might be dearer if you are making deliveries.

My insurance is up next month.. I'd take out a pay monthly policy. If it looked as if it will work I'd get a double cab van to replace my car so I can use for family use too.

What

Or as well as?

At the moment it's an idea.
If I go for it then I'd like it to replace plumbing.
If successful it would be hard juggling the two. I'm sure it will be less greif All be it I do still enjoy my job.

One thing I did think of is on some the bigger jobs once finished, I'd deliver a free box of fruit and veg to promote the business.

The offices I do work for I'd take in a fruit box and maybe a sample veg box for all to handle and see the quality.

I'm thinking of starting a fruit and veg delivery business.

I like to ask on hear your thoughts as we are all into different things across the country. It's not just with what's going on now, I've been loosely thinking of this for a while.

Whats your thoughts, what do you think.
Just been on the radio about how wholesale fruit and veg prices tripled in last few weeks....Mottie, you need security around your spuds!

Sponsored Links
Back