I'm thinking of starting another business.

Not much point in starting up a delivery service if you can't get the labour to pick the fruit and veg in the first place!

Sponsored Links
Not much point in starting up a delivery service if you can't get the labour to pick the fruit and veg in the first place!

It's not from my Garden. I would pick it up pre picked from wholesale.

Can't you set the wife up to do it between school runs and help out when needed? This way you could carry on plumbing and see how it goes.

Andy

Can't you set the wife up to do it between school runs and help out when needed? This way you could carry on plumbing and see how it goes.

Andy

That's a good idea. I would want to start this as a partnership between the both of us. She doesn't drive so I'd have to do deliveries but she could take and sort out orders and load the van whole I organise my mate with the plumbing..

Sponsored Links
It's not from my Garden. I would pick it up pre picked from wholesale.
You obviously missed the point.

There is currently a lack of labour to get the produce from the field to the wholesaler!

Edit: You could of course send the wife out picking and pay her 'piece rate' :)

No I didn't miss your point. I don't want to start a Brexit rant.
Did I mention brexit?

It's simply a fact that there is a shortage of labour to pick fruit and veg in the UK.

You brought up the elephant in the room :rolleyes:

There is currently a lack of labour to get the produce from the field to the wholesaler!

It's early days I won't need much. And all the restaurants are not ordering so enough for me hopefully.

Edit: You could of course send the wife out picking and pay her 'piece rate' :)[/QUOTE]

If I divorce her then I'd get some peace

Did I mention brexit?

It's simply a fact that there is a shortage of labour to pick fruit and veg in the UK.

You brought up the elephant in the room :rolleyes:

I do see your point but that's beyond my control. I've asked can I pop up one evening to take a look and mayve buy some samples thst I can deliver to customers, friends and I a few of the rich Yoga girls.

Our local farm shop have been free delivering , also taking their vans to hospital/ambulance and fire stations plus other key working areas for staff to buy from van.
Also the price & high quality has been maintained, we used to buy a few items from the farm when passing, now they are delivering all out fruit & veg are no supplied and there is a noticeable difference in the prodcut quality, this for me is key, as the quality is higher, i will continue to purchase from the farm shop locally after the lockdown is over, probably increasing my spend to them by 3 or 4 fold over before the lockdown.
and if they continue the delivery , then even more likely to continue 100%
I also like that if the wholesaler price goes to high, they won't buy and pass on , what they consider overpriced or exploting items, so they seem to be able to bring some pressure onto the wholesalers.

SO, for me Quality and good value for money is key. Free Delivery may play a part
You may want to look at the competition and see what they offer.
Friends of ours have bought into the box's of in season fruit & veg before the lockdown, and that has increased also increased amoungst friends and relatives. BUT I prefer to be able to email the list of what i specifically want.

good luck with the venture

First thing first would be to get your wife passed her driving test, it would help the family out no end.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Back