Business side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really an Electrical Question but to do with Electrics,

Im looking to set up a electrical contracting business but not sure if I shoul opt for sole trader or limited company.

Can I ask for some opinions, its going to start off very small jus putting private jobs through and hopefully expanding so I can work for myself full time.

I assume that my tax code will change and my employer will notice this? may have to word it carefully with him

Post moved as its not electrical, others may also have an opinion / advice

Sponsored Links
A limited company is not a step to be taken lightly, for a start you have to submit end of year accounts regardless of whether or not you do anything, a smaller lesser point is you have to place a notice saying something like "registered office of johny five electricals" on your gatepost. Also there is a list of offences that can only be commited by company directors etc and as ignorance is no defence most of the time, it
s not something to rush into without knowing all the facts. That does not necessalily mean its not the way to go, just that you could consider very carefully)

I advise you to go and see some kind of business advisor about this, they will be able to advise on what is best and what the pitfalls are etc :)

Depending how much you earn with your employer and how much you intend to put through your books will be the deciding factor as which way to go. if you earn nearly the threshold for 40% tax already and intend putting 1000's through on your own LTD might be the way forward. LTD works by paying your self say the minimum wage and then leaving large amounts in the company which are taken at stages as dividends, if however you wish to get at this money and spend it as you earn it soletrader will be best. You'll pay slightly more tax as a sole trader but your money is easier to get at.
Your tax code will remain the same 485or whatever it is now so your employer wont notice anything, all you'll have to do is, as soletrader a annual tax return, as LTD annual tax return plus audit and public accounts.
Have done both and have personally found being LTD much better for my company.

lcgs said:
Your tax code will remain the same 485or whatever it is now so your employer wont notice anything.

Your 100% sure about this? Ive done quite a bit of reading into this and I think sole trader will be my best option but I always have the opportunity to go LTD at a later date.

Im not interested in taking a wage from the company just to throw it back in to help promote the business, corporation tax looks nasty plus there wont be much goiing through books for first year or so.

Sponsored Links
go see an accountant, you will need one anyway.

sole trader is easier, but it also means that say some one sues you, for more than the company has, as a sole trader your own assests (your house) can be taken, but that is looking on the very bleak side, that is why a ltd co is ltd (or so I am told) , but to do the same work as your employer, if any one finds out, it no job for you, since it could be considered that you are taking potential customers.

being a ltd company is sometimes frowned upon by suppliers,and means that you have to guarantee security when you buy goods.

noseall said:
being a ltd company is sometimes frowned upon by suppliers,and means that you have to guarantee security when you buy goods.
Noseall, isn't that the other way around? Because for a supplier a Ltd has more guarantees on its own for being a Ltd (not just a person) than a sole-trader.

Fattony, the best advice is already given here: find a good accountant. One that has lots of experiences with start-ups (sole-traders or Ltd or partnerships), and hopefully not one that automagicly starts charging you the minute he/she answers the phone.
A decent accountant should be able to advice you not only on accounts but also on which steps to take during and beyond start-up, which organisations (gov or others) to inform or contact etc.
Money well invested.

If you think you are going to set up a business and have the world beating a path to your door then you are sadly disillusioned.

When you've survived as a sole trader for 10 years - then think again. The odds are that you will never make it. Only one in five do.
Don't go into it thinking you can't fail - because you probably will.

WoodYouLike said:
noseall said:
Noseall, isn't that the other way around? Because for a supplier a Ltd has more guarantees on its own for being a Ltd (not just a person) than a sole-trader.

lenders and some suppliers often require directors to give a personal guarantee in respect of the company's obligation.

lending (and that is essentially what supplier accounts are) to a limited company with little in the way of assests to seize is risky.

the whole point of a limited company is it protects the owners of the company if the company goes bankrupt. Therefore if the company doesn't own anything significant it can go bankrupt and never pay the bulk of its debts.

joe-90 said:
If you think you are going to set up a business and have the world beating a path to your door then you are sadly disillusioned.
quote]

I never said that or gave the impresion that is what I thought, this is something Im running alongside my normal job and hoipe in the future that I can work for myself full time

Public accounts ..for ltd. co. ........do you mean the public can see these ...and where :?: Y`see an old friend of mine`s family run a sucessfull business and I`d just LOVE to know what£££ goes where :LOL:

fattony said:
joe-90 said:

I never said that or gave the impresion that is what I thought, this is something Im running alongside my normal job and hoipe in the future that I can work for myself full time

When you are turning over £50k - then think about it.

Stop talking out your backside Joe. I turned over above 50k in my first year of trading. Turnover is meaningless though, you can turn that over in one job, its the profit that counts.

Fattony, as has been said get a decent accountant. My wife is one and for what its worth her advice is basically become a ltd company. Why because of the following:-

The company is the legal identity and therefore you are not at risk for its debts as you would be as a sole trader, although if it goes wrong you can be barred as a company director etc. You can set up and register a company for about £50, there are companies that do all the paperwork for you, and many accountants will allow you to use their address as the registered office address for the compan.

Most suppliers will prefer to deal with a limited company, although many will ask for you as a director to underwrite any liability.

The biggest reason though is the tax breaks. You are an employee of the company, which means you draw a salary up to the tax threshold. After that you take out dividends. Allthe companies earnings are taxable at 19% as corporation tax, rather than your personal tax rate as a sole trader. You wont pay national insurance on any earnings either. So would you prefer to pay 19% to the government (of course less any expenses) or your nice hefty personal and ni rate to them? You can draw down dividends from the company whenever you want, there nothing complicated about it at all. Ive paid an absolute pittance in tax since we set the company up, basically because of decent accounting

There are a lot more items that can be claimed for as a company as opposed to a sole trader which means you can bring your tax bill down. eg directors meetings (make your wife the company secretary and you can claim a meal once a month!)

As you effectivly earn the threshold limit (cant remember exact figure but around 5000) it means that this will only count for income on things like tax credit etc so you will receive more from the government through that scheme as well

A decent accountant and bookeeper are worth their weight in gold and will make life easy for you.

There are plenty of government websites etc that will also give you advice, as will your business bank manager. Its worth going to see one, theyll sort you out with free banking and give advice. If your not borrowing monet etc you dont need to start worrying about business plans etc for them. This site is worth a look http://www.startups.co.uk/
In reality if you already have a trade, some contacts etc then there is nothing to be afraid of. Just keep all documentation and deal with each aspect step by step. Youll be amazed how many suppliers, customers etc will give you a break when you let them know your going out on your own.

Nige F in answer to your question all accounts from limited companies are availiable to view at companies house or on their website

Good luck :D

Nige F said:
Public accounts ..for ltd. co. ........do you mean the public can see these ...and where :?: Y`see an old friend of mine`s family run a sucessfull business and I`d just LOVE to know what£££ goes where :LOL:

anyone who wants to become a ltd company must register, for a fee, with companys house. they must also prepare accounts for public viewing. not cheap either.

edit:
unless your wife's an accountant, eh Thermo. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back